Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Are you a “post-Fabregas and van Persie emergence” fan?!

Yep :pensive::pensive:

I didn’t really start following the PL and Arsenal until 2007, so I really managed to pick the worst time.

This is the first time I get to experience the thrill and rush of a real life title challenge :santi:

5 Likes

For me the most satisying thing about his goal was the way he went into the box, got the ball, did his guy and finished near the far post.

But that’s a wide bro’s bread and butter in football you say. Yes but this is the thing he hasn’t been doing much… he’s been doing all kinds of other things aside from a few goals of this sort (as well as excessive dilly-dallying)… but this is his position’s go-to move because it is so effective - especially if you arrive in the box at an angle with the ball, cut inside/strafe sideways and finish by the far post (80% of Robben’s goals).

I’d love to see more of these, he could score buckets of these with his technique and speed.

2 Likes

I think it was a pretty low xG (around 0.1 I think?), but for me it felt a lot higher than that simply because you expect him to score in that situations.

That was not an easy goal at all… and he took it wide to his weaker foot, which helped get him the space away from defender’s block. And from that angle, it was all about the pace or else keeper can get to it. Very very hard to score far post from that angle - he definitely has something special about him and I love the fact especially that we have so many options to interchange the attacking players, especially with Trossard and Jesus (I think Eddie is just a bit more a traditional striker). If we can reliably get 10-15 goals each from our wide players, we are going to be brutal to defend.

2 Likes

Martinelli hasn’t even been playing that well off late. He has gears. He was in far better form in October.

I’m not complaining though - he’s scoring important goals. Also, along with ESR, he’s my favourite player.

1 Like
4 Likes

Player with the most successful dribbles (Martinelli) vs the man who cannot be dribbled past (VVD). This is like tying a piece of toast butter side up to a cat and tossing it in the air.

1 Like

Everyone has their own hobbies I guess

2 Likes

I hope he doesn’t lose focus with this success.

4 Likes

Still more impressive than the London football awards

2 Likes

Twitter:

“MARTINELLI SUPPORTS ZIONIST ISRAELI APARTHEID AGAINST PALESTINIANS - When will the PL take action !!?!!??!!!?!?”

2 Likes

I like how he didn’t let the kids into his actual house.

They’re getting the DPD parcel treatment. Awkward pic by the front door

3 Likes

“PL super-star anti-Semite ruthlessly exploits young Jewish children in tasteless PR stunt”

Edit: this is fun; maybe I should get on Twitter or become a tabloid writer

1 Like

Could add about the draw being rigged too. That ticket was placed on top of the bag.

Oooh yeah that’s a good one

“PL anti-Semite superstar rigs school fundraiser to ruthlessly exploit marginalised Jewish children in PR stunt”

1 Like

Cristo what are you on about mate? Lol

5 Likes

Did you come 2nd in the raffle bro?

2 Likes

The media and pundits everywhere: “Martinelli over celebrating with school children after lucky win.”

2 Likes

You know what is worse than suggesting that Martinelli is anti-Palestine and a Zionist? Suggesting that bum Mudryk can lace the boots of Mar9.

1 Like