Funny Brian Clough Story

Nah it’s Paisley, Busby, Stein before Cloughie.

They couldn’t win the league with a promoted second division side (twice)

They never got relegated or sacked either.

While that did happen with Clough, can we really count it? It was his last season with Forest, alcohol got the better of him.

In terms of being sacked, he was at odds with Sam Logsdon at Derby for a long time. Leeds was a marriage made in hell.

Cloughie’s the best. Literally put two non-starter clubs into the history books. Manager extraordinaire.

Well two of them 3 sacking are on his personality and that was a fault of him and set him along way back.
Peter Taylor is a massive part of his success to the degree he has one League cup trophy too his name without him.

I don’t get the personality bit. That shouldn’t take away from the achievements.

Too much is made of the Peter Taylor thing. When Peter Taylor went solo, he was hardly pulling up trees with Derby. A good number 2 but that’s it. He may as well have been Steve Mclaren’s dad.

Cloughie had the midas touch. Best British manager and best manager England never had.

No Paisley is the best England manager we never had.
The personality doesn’t take away from his achievements but is a major reason he doesn’t go further.

Paisley couldn’t do what Clough did with two second division sides.

Clough could almost certainly do what Paisley did with an inherited successful Liverpool side at a canter.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is true or not. They worked well together but both were alcoholics and Clough became a progressively worse alcoholic. The more the aloholism progresses the worse it falls apart mate. Clough was obviously getting worse and worse. With alchohol you can hold things together and get away with things for a few years but eventually things slip deeper and deeper until you’re barely functioning.

1 Like

Bob Paisley was a deflected goal away from winning the treble that Fergie achieved with far more resources in 1977.
Turned Ray Kennedy from a top striker into arguably the best left midfielder in the country. Takes top coaching ability too see things like that.
He won 6 titles 3 European cups a UEFA cup and 3 League cups in 8 years.
He’s the first manager in history to win 3 European cups. Only two others have done that. He’s unquestionably number one for me.

The deflected goal is still a deflected goal, though. You won’t hear Manchester United fans complain about it.

Leeds were 3 games away from winning a treble in 1970. They ended up with nothing. Doesn’t mean I’d call Don Revie the best ever.

Paisley had the resources to turn Liverpool into a powerhouse. Cloughie almost single handedly transformed the Baseball Ground.

Clough’s the best British manager, pound for pound

Fake news.

2 Likes

This doesn’t actually make sense

It was Man United who beat Liverpool in the '77 cup final 1-0

They beat Leeds in the semis, incidentally. Almost rivals that magnificent cup run in 99 where they beat us, Chelsea and Liverpool en route to winning it (the bastards)

I’m saying united fans are a bunch of whiney cunts.

1 Like
1 Like

He isnt and ive only used paisley here. I could go with Busby and Stein and comfortably win this argument.
If you want to go down the little club road we could bring Alf Ramsey into it. Took Ipswich from the 3rd division to the title in 3 seasons and won the world cup.
Clough is top notch but he has way more flaws than get acknowledged by his fans but more importantly himself.

1 Like

Obviously im arguing in the pre prem era because think we all know Fergie surpasses all that went before.

Roy Keane disagrees mate

1 Like

Busby, Stein and Paisley didn’t do what Clough did with two promoted sides. Ramsey only did it with one. Clough won the European cup back to back, Busby hasn’t done that. Paisley did do it but who’s the man who stood in the way of making it 3 in a row? Clough.

I don’t think it’s an argument that can be won. It boils down to opinion in the end.

And, as Clough said, my opinion is right.