Friendly matches (behind closed doors)

I’m not sure why that would make any difference to the clubs who want the money of match attending fans though?

2 Likes

How do you guys think season 20/21 will pan out (fan wise)?

It looks like it’s going ahead as scheduled in August, no?

I just can’t envisage full stadia, though

most likely wont be any fans for the whole of next season as well

I think they’ll allow 20-30% capacity to begin with at some stage

Anything above that would make it incredibly hard for social distancing

what percentage of a normal filled stadium has season tickets?

Certain stadiums most likely 50-60% I would say

A lot of football league clubs would be happy with that. Not many of them sell out often. Colchester for example, have an average attendance of about 3,000 in a 10,000 seater stadium.

I think someone put a link on here of this season’s cup final being open to 10k fans of each side.

While that might make for a showpiece final, it would mean social distancing for fans in seats at Wembley. Even travel to the stadium can’t be trusted (even if it’s an Arsenal v Chelsea final, for example. Packed like sardines on public transport even for a short journey)

England rugby Union are looking at having autumn internationals with forty thousand. Half the capacity.
Fine spacing wise but keeping the distance protocol in and around the ground seems ambitious.

1 Like

You get used to football without fans in the stadium rather quickly. At least with these Bundesliga games.

50% will never work

No it won’t. Definitely not around the outside of Twickenham. It’s very built up around the ground.

I kinda feel for the local businesses, fanzines etc that rely on matchday footfall.

Fish n chip shops, burger bars and pubs that rely on fans coming in to push their profit up.

That would of been the players using them up to the 80s.:hugs:

2 Likes

I heard a story once of that player who scored that famous FA Cup goal. He was wearing a white jersey, black shorts and belted the ball from about 30 yards out and fans came streaming onto the quagmire of a pitch.

It was a giantkilling in the early 70s (I want to say it was Ronnie Radford? Hereford v Newcastle?)

Anyway, he celebrated by going home and having a fish n chip dinner to treat himself :joy:

How times change, sadly :pensive:

1 Like

Yeah it was Ronnie Radford for Hereford against Newcastle.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve read somewhere they plan to start the league in the middle of September, although I could be wrong.

As for crowds next season, we won’t have a vaccine, it’s very unlikely England has the virus close to eradication so unless government and football change their current approach we’ll be only see limited crowds if any at all.

1 Like

Can’t see after the initial interest in the game being back how the TV companies sell this.
People will lose interest and people who go will in many cases lose the habit of going. One of the big things I’ve noticed is people saying how much more time they have now.

1 Like

I personally still think worldwide audiences will be very impressive, let’s just see how this plays out.

Worldwide fans don’t make the atmosphere tho do they

1 Like