Freddie Ljungberg

7 Likes

How many players can say they were a club legend on the pitch, managed the kids at multiple levels, became assistant manager and even had a short stint as caretaker.

Great player, great guy. Gooner legend.

14 Likes

Bring him back.

2 Likes
1 Like

I remember that lol.

I felt kinda shit when Sweden went out to Senegal that Sunday morning.

1 Like

This was big in the news then :joy: Former captain and current captain of the national team fighting. There really were two camps within the team then. I will always root for Freddie, heā€™s Arsenal through and through. But Iā€™ve said it before, he wasnā€™t a humble and honest player. He was down right dirty at times! His attitude off the pitch wasnā€™t very charming either, a real obnoxious asshole!
Heā€™s grown on me after he stopped playing though, I guess he needed time to mature as a human being.

4 Likes

You get a lot of winners with that attitude in sport tbh.
Chelsea were full of them at their peak. Done well itā€™s near bloody impossible to deal with.

1 Like

ā€œThe general size (height) of the team was massive, I think thatā€™s underestimated sometimes the power and athleticism was enormous compared to other teamsā€

We been saying this for tiiiiime.

7 Likes

When I was a kid Freddie was always my favourite, only thing higher than those cheekbones was his hair line.

For me heā€™s always a bit of a forgotten invincible, which I donā€™t think is fair. Heā€™s always the dude people drop in their perfect 11s but I really think thatā€™s harsh on him. Classy player, cool dude, handsome af, what more could you ask for.

I think heā€™ll manage here some day, I loved his approach as caretaker, he essentially said what the actual fuck do you expect me to do? Still picked an unreal lineup of Martinelli - Auba - Pepe.

Itā€™s why I canā€™t be hard on Mikel, who is equally a cool and underrated Arsenal man. Heā€™s no Freddie but Iā€™m going to give him a little loyalty with those cheek bones.

1 Like

What? Absolutely never in Freddieā€™s universe.
Freddie is an absolute legend, Arteta just a mediocre player during a mediocre era. A nobody compared to Freddie really. Youā€™re just underrating Freddie with this comment. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is why I read whole posts before liking. You almost had me :grin:

9 Likes

Disagree

2 Likes

I often wonder how our perception of Arteta and Edu would have been had they dissociated with the club entirely after their playing days and not pursued their current, active roles.

I think they would have had a warm welcome back at the Emirates as half time guests or on Arsenal hospitality tours. If trophies are our only measure of success, then we could say both had good careers here and were good servants.

Their ineptitude now is souring our view of the past, I feel.

3 Likes

I know my stance on Mikel is entirely unpopular but Iā€™m not down right trying to be contrarian. I remember speaking with my father before Xmas and he felt that Arteta should be given time and I was adamant that he should be sacked.

Strangely and somewhat paradoxically weā€™ve completely reversed opinions, I myself know thatā€™s illogical and a lot of the flaws that were there before xmas are still clear as day- though I do think Mikel tried a lot harder in the second half of the season to be attacking minded, his team selections were better and Odegaard was a nice progressive signing albeit a loan.

I feel like Iā€™ve actually been nurtured by this forum to be more militant towards my stance on Arteta than I actually care to be. A lot of Arteta supporters seem to have just up and left because of how vocal and opinionated certain folk are in their anti Arteta agenda. Not that thatā€™s anything wrong with that itā€™s just relentless. Take @MissRedNL for example, I didnā€™t always agree with what she said but I really admired her conviction and how she articulated her thoughts and support of Arteta. You just donā€™t have that anymore, anything remotely positive about Arteta is a capital crime and it really alienates any kind of creative of discussion.

The only reason Iā€™m saying this to you is because I know your firmly Arteta out and I respect that but youā€™re also one of the most open minded dudes on the forum and I know youā€™ll understand where Iā€™m coming from, and of course my larger point.

2 Likes

Within the first two minutes he adresses whatā€™s wrong with us when we loose the ball and have to defend the counterattack. Because it was always Vieira and Gilberto both who hung back they always had double coverage and less one-v-one situation players had to deal with.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that one a like. I genuinely love being proved wrong when it is to the benefit of Arsenal Football Club.

Just canā€™t see how Arteta turns it around but would love to see it.

4 Likes

I myself donā€™t really know if Mikel is the right man to turn us around but I am naively optimistic about next season. I think our recruitment has been a lot better the last 3 or 4 years and Iā€™m confident that Mikel might be able to really attack the league next year with no distractions.

Also I feel like if itā€™s not working by Xmas heā€™ll clearly be replaced this time round so Iā€™m leaning into optimism.

1 Like

I can understand why the board have kept Arteta on despite some very obvious failings. I think when youā€™ve been a manager for 18 months and youā€™ve failed as much as he has and the players are still behind you - there has to be something worth sticking with.

I do, like @Castiel, believe heā€™ll be moved on by Christmas if things havenā€™t improved. But Iā€™m not ultra angry that heā€™s been kept on I could actually see some signs of improvement and ultimately think weā€™ll perform infinitely better next year. Iā€™m quietly optimistic even though I have little reason to be.

3 Likes

I can always count on you to share my radical yet quietly logical opinions. @Stroller too.

I do hope we start the season well because even though Iā€™m a cynical boarderline nihilistic cunt I do enjoy reading positive vibes on here. Life is all about balance and compromise.

3 Likes

Bring him back

5 Likes