Facundo Torres

lol that’s a dumb comparison.

I wasn’t really making a point against what you were saying, I was just curious as to how you had made the evaluation on the player that you did.

If you had have responded with “yes I watch a lot of MLS and I’ve watched Torres play numerous times which is why I deem him to be Europa League quality” then that would have been a perfect response.

The real problem here is that you made an evaluation based on literally nothing and can’t cope with the fact that someone questioned that.

Can’t recall a signing from the MLS that transformed a team, let alone a big one, so I guess it’s a fair enough assessment to say it’s not a signing to push us on immediately.

About the player himself I know fuck all so would just trust Arteta/Edu on it. With any signing from the MLS I think there’s a bit of commercial influence, we’ve suddenly signed 2 in more recent windows and potentially another here after a lack of interest there at all for many years. Tim Ream was probably the last one rumoured to us before Trusty ad Turner came.

Not necessarily a bad thing and good we’ve opened up to a new market, just hope they’re good enough and not purely commercial moves. This one seems more about the player than Trusty/Turner did.

3 Likes

In a general sense perhaps, but if you’re discussing a specific player in a specific context then “he’s from the MLS” isn’t really a valid assessment.

Like you, I trust what the club are doing as I think they’ve hit the mark on all their work over the last 2-3 years.

1 Like

You would not have said fair enough if I did indeed watch a lot of MLS, you would have continued to probe despite not actually having anything to offer to the Torres debate. It’s low level conversing.

All the best anyway.

I don’t know if he is the right signing but definitely a very different profile from those guys - Uruguay international, only been in MLS a year, clearly seeing it as a launchpad to Europe.

FWIW more of these types of South American players seem to be going to MLS. I think there’s a clear strategy to make MLS kind of an alternative to Portugal for South Americans looking to move abroad, make some money, and position themselves for a top five league eventually.

3 Likes

Do we really need another skinny left footed am/winger

Fair enough. High money transfers don’t seem like that much of a problem for us these days.

@LordBendtner yes. One long term injury to Saka or Martinelli and we are done for in my opinion.

Smith is a high quality option on the wings and AM

Definitely and I think we have the pull now as well to attract players of a high calibre again. Jesus and Partey are two top, top signings for us.

Wouldn’t mind a few more at that level even if that doesn’t come until the summer.

For now, proven Premier League players are more than suffice.

After the debacle of last January, I really hope Kroenke and Edu can get us the players we need to push on in January.

Hm.

No thanks, we’re aiming for a title push.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m good, 22 year old from the MLS is a no go for me.

Feel free to use our name to bag yourself a move to a club like Southampton or Frankfurt though

1 Like

Yeh, Facuf mate. We’ve got a title charge to be getting on with.

11 Likes

EDIT: already used a similar pun earlier lol

Not to be that guy but we almost broke our transfer record for a 22 year old that plays for Shakhtar that doesn’t even have a third of this guy’s experience.

Almiron was playing in the MLS not too long ago himself and is now one of the most in-form players in the PL.

3 Likes

Only took Almiron three seasons. Torres can do one. Not what we need.

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t hot on Mudryk either tbh

£100m for a 22 year old with 8 goals in the Ukrainian league is ridiculous

3 Likes

Almiron was also clearly too good for MLS when he was there. Him and Josef Martinez were different gravy on that Atlanta United championship team.