Euro 2020

Wow that’s an absolute touchup, Luca is a very happy man tonight.

3 Likes

Yes unbelievable jeff!

Tony Adams was a massive carcrash on it though lol.

:astonished:

With the delay to June 21st lockdown easing in England and the R number going up here, I feel there’s an argument to be had that the games at Wembley ought to be played in an empty stadium.

4 Likes

Isn’t everyone in the UK nearly vaccinated mate ? If you can’t start to have crowds now when will you ?

3 Likes

Difficult one, mate.

From a personal stance, I’d like to see the numbers calm down a little before we start to see full-ish stadia. The R number, cases and hospitalisations are going up. We’re not also 100% sure that the current vaccines protect against the Delta variant.

We’re less than a week away from England v Scotland in an international tournament. The oldest football fixture in the world, made by the fans. It would be a travesty to see it go effectively “unwatched” in an empty Wembley. However, safety first suggests that if we’re still not allowed to have big weddings of more than 30 guests here, it seems nonsensical to have hundreds of fans at the same venue at the same time.

1 Like

There’s been 18,000 at Edgbaston each day for England v NZ. It’s been nice seeing all the fancy dress outfits and beer snakes again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What’s this exactly?

Empty cups made into a snake

2 Likes

The longest beer snake ever?!

You could say that’s the cup de grace

1 Like

Should be called a cup snake tbf

3 Likes

I thought you meant snakebites, that made me get memories of my Sunday nights at Shebu Walkie that’s now closed.

He’s had worse car crashes tbf.

5 Likes

Gotta say I’m with @DavidHillier on this with the fans.
Numbers are on the rise again. We all know the next lifting of restrictions is getting put back because of this but mass crowds is a worry again now.
Sacrificing the football for what we currently have is a small price to pay.

2 Likes

Absolutely. The long term effects of a short term circuit breaker (which unfortunately coincide with an international football tournament) will save lives.

What’s the end game though @Stroller , if everyone is vaccinated and you can’t have fans when can you ?

3 Likes

They’re not. This is crucial to the argument.

1 Like

What % of England is Vaccinated ?

The stadiums won’t be the problem. It’s not full capacity. And fans going to the match have to show proof of vaccination or proof of negative tests before they can go in. It’ll be the fans gathering in large groups elsewhere that is more of a risk IMO. And that will be even worse if you tell the fans that have tickets that they can no longer go to the match. You think those people will just say “oh ok, I’ll stay at home then”? Nah. Trains will still be busy, pubs will still be busy.

4 Likes