England vs. Italy (Euro 2020 Final)

Italy - Germany in 2006 remains in my top 3-5 football games ever played. The tension, drama and quality was unbelievable

3 Likes

Spanky and logic never was a match :man_shrugging:t2: :ozil:

Erm…

1 Like

Yeah it’s starting to stress me out reading all these people confidently state they think England are gonna win haha

2 Likes

So an aussie, irish, dane and scot already confidently predicting an england win hmmmm.

@JakeyBoy looks like the copium is starting early.

3 Likes

It’s coming home

If I’m assessing today’s game;

England will struggle in midfield because Phillips and Rice lack the qualities to truly dominate a midfield of Verratti-Jorginho-Barella. For me, England must start Mount and have him press at Jorginho and force him into making errors that we know is within his game.

Kane must not be so isolated. If he is isolated like in many games, England’s only hope for goals comes through the direct running of Sterling who will trouble the full backs with his speed and directness.

My head says that if the Italians aren’t too leggy, they will win today with reasonable comfort. But then something tells me the stars have aligned for England.

5 Likes

Nuh uh. Nothing outlandish is happening. This is Italy’s.

1 Like

Spain showed the way, obviously they have better ball playing players across most of the pitch, but if you can nullify him and in part verratti then yeah you force us into long balls which Phillips/maguire etc will mop up no problem, and Shaw/Walker will outdo our full backs on wide long balls in the air…

1 Like

I’m actually surprised by how quiet it is in here, are you guys all just nervous, mentally preparing mindfully or already shit faced drunk?

All 3

2 Likes

Busy cooking the Sunday roast :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In my opinion Gareth Southgate is going to get way too much credit, irrespective of the result here. This England squad is very strong, and was clearly one of the best going into this tourney. The reason I bring this all up is the tactical tinkering. If England wins, this won’t be a popular view, but I will credit it to being despite Southgate, not because of him. I just think there is a trend in the game of some younger managers trying to make it all about their tactics, sometimes overdoing it all.

Regardless, Come on England, bring it home!

6 Likes

While I think Southgate’s team selection has been pretty good I completely get where you are coming from. He done well to bring in Saka but that’s exactly the type of player you want in international football, all the desire and talent with none of the ego. I actually think this could be the one where he tinker’s too much, I really didn’t like hearing Saka out for Trippier, if I were an England fan I would be against that.

I do think you’re right though, he’s been able to tinker because of the opposition being so poor combined with the home advantage, I think he’s been fortuitous to have so many talented players that it would actually be hard to field a bad 11. Not a manager I put a great deal of faith in but if he wins tonight I’m sure he’ll have his pick among top EPL sides and I suppose deservedly so.

4 Likes

Way too much emotion flying around London today haha. How many times have you seen it where the amount of expectation and excitement has a negative effect on the team lol.

We need cool heads tonight but the atmosphere just won’t allow for it. Hoping that Southgate’s calm and understated manner actually helps overcome that

1 Like
8 Likes

Have been sent a couple of vids of a gentleman powdering his nose in front of a large crowd in Leicester square. Haha

4 Likes

Makes me proud to be English

I met some friends at Euston earlier and saw some real sights. People were beyond drunk at midday lol. Don’t get me wrong it’s quite fun but not the sort of atmosphere you wanna hang around, can easily get out of hand quickly

Not sure if it’s easier for the police if England win or lose tonight :sweat_smile: