Emmanuel Petit

Yep, pretty much describes my attitute towards the club for like 5-6 years or so.

Trying to get positive about the club just inevitably results in more anger in the future. Indifference and detachment is the only way.
:vinai:

4 Likes

Agreed, used to be all over the nnc transfer gossip column every morning without fail and various other Arsenal related but donā€™t bother anymore.
saw the game was on Amazon last night got excited and then rememberedā€¦ Meh Arsenal. Iā€™m ok thanks.

1 Like
2 Likes

So rather than sack our woefully inadequate manager, letā€™s just replace half the squad instead.

1 Like

Can we do both :pray:

2 Likes

This is good

I had no idea he met with Spurs first and they ended up paying for his cab over to London Colney to sign for us :grin:

2 Likes

Wish he didnā€™t leave too. Gilberto and Edu werenā€™t as technical or as imposing as Petit. I remember him often being better than Vieira. Iā€™m not sure how well he aged but I think we win more if we donā€™t sell.

I think we only got Ā£5m for him. Selling Overmars for Ā£25m and bringing in Pires for Ā£6m was a masterstroke though. Although it probably hurt us initially as Pires took a season to really adapt.

2 Likes

When he joined Chelsea safe to say he was a shadow of his former self? I canā€™t remember ever watching them during that period and thinking to myself I wish he was still ours.

2 Likes

The one goal he scored for Barcelona was an absolute belter

I much preferred Gilberto for his reliability. He went about his business quietly and efficiently with little fuss. I think with Petit, his body was always a bit of a ticking time bomb with regards to injuries and I always felt he wasnā€™t quite as consistently ā€œonā€ as Gilberto was.

When he nailed it, he was incredible to watch though.

2 Likes

Iā€™m only seeing this now but Petit was spot on and looks like this is what weā€™re doing. Arteta still might not be the right man for the job even if I am quietly optimistic about the season ahead. With saying that you genuinely canā€™t argue that getting half of these eternal shitters out of the squad isnā€™t the right decision. Change of mentality in the dressing room is something we desperately crave.

2 Likes

I remember him not looking good vs us in the Fa cup final, Lampard played well but petit was out of ideas and lethargic. Do you reckon the Barcelona transfer killed his love for the game a bit, the manager had no idea what position he played or anything about him and he became more injury prone as a consequence. I donā€™t remember him being injured too often before then. Could be wrong all from memory;)

1 Like

Youā€™re right with the last bit. It almost felt like a 4-2-4 formation in 97/98. The 2 being Vieira and Petit with both exhibiting defensive and attacking skills in equal measure. It gave the team a certain unpredictability, too.

Could I say the Gilberto/Vieira partnership was better? Hmm, Iā€™d be hard pressed. In terms of all the Wenger title winning seasons, in terms of raw excitement and watchability, Iā€™d go 01/02 to 97/98 and finally 03/04 (although thereā€™s not much between the three of them, in all fairness)

2 Likes

I think 97/98 was the most brutally efficient that we were under Wenger and thatā€™s from a lot of rewatching. Ridiculously strong and experienced core.

But outright excitement I think any team from 02-05 was as exciting as any title winning Arsenal team. Powerful but so beautiful and easy on the eye.

6 Likes

2001 to 2006 was the absolutely peak for me, Iā€™m starting to doubt Iā€™ll ever see the club have a five years like that ever again.

6 Likes

Yeah fuck we were a dangerous side in that period, sad how far weā€™ve fallen.

1 Like

The landscape of football changed completely in the years that followed sadly :weary:

I liked the 97/8 team most. Petit and Viera were fantastic but you stil had the old George Graham defence as the back bone and Ray Parlour and Ian Wright if I recall correctly. I have a lot of nostalgia for those older guys who helped build the culture of determination to win and good defensive organisation and a number of them had been key in our previous title win.

Probably the team between 2001 to 2005 was better though. Really shouldā€™ve won the title in 2002/3 as well. After we won in 03/04 I never wouldā€™ve guessed weā€™d not win a title again and weā€™d go on to decline as much as we have. With hind sight I think Dein selling out was the big nail in the coffin and the wig wearing vampire has been clueless after he took control.

I was very disappointed when Petit left for Barcelona and sorry for him that he seemed to lose his way after that.

5 Likes

There was a real ā€œswashbucklingā€ quality about the team, wasnā€™t there? Win the game before weā€™re even on the pitch. There was a steel, a grit and a determination that I felt might just have been lacking in the latter teams.

The most recent reminders Iā€™ve had of that Arsenal team are Man United in 07/08 and Liverpool in 13/14 (even though the Scousers didnā€™t win owt, haha)

3 Likes

Absolutely we should have won 3 straight 01/02, 02/03 and 03/04, shame we just missed out as it would have made us go down as one of dynasty periods in English football.

7 Likes