Emiliano Buendia

IMO, it is very common for players to move across the three behind the striker, but not so common for players who start as wingers to eventually move back into the double pivot. I can think of examples (beyond Santi), like Schweinsteiger or Giggs, but they are relatively rare.

Ox has been completely wank as a CM, both when he played there for us and when he has played there for Liverpool.

I’d be happy to have Buendia as another option for the three behind the striker. If we want a CM, I think it makes a lot more sense to just buy a player who has played extensively in that position and shown they can handle it.

It sounds outlandish when you put it like that, but I don’t think his game suffers if played there. I could be completely wrong in my assessment, but as Buendia’s a right footer, I’d imagine his options opening more on the left.

Just going through that thread @GC-Maniac posted and there’s two situations where he comes from a the left. This player can play anywhere across the front three.

EDIT: Another example

Another one…I’ll stop now :relaxed:

2 Likes

Anyone know who Football League World is lol?

4 Likes

They gave an update on Buendia not too long ago as well.
They seem to cover the Championship mostly. No clue how reliable they are.

Last reliable update said Buendia has been scouted extensively by us and we have talked to his agent. He was one of the options in January but he wasn’t the number 1 option at the time.
Whether that is because we wanted someone else over him or whether he was too expensive for January I don’t know.

It was probably more to do with us signing Odegaard on loan.
Buendia is more likely going to come here in the next window and might possibly be our big signing unless we can persuade Odegaard to sign a permanent deal.

1 Like

I don’t understand how you asses players. In his short time here Odegaard has proven his best qualities lie in and around the box. Why take him away from there and create a problem/uncertainty, whilst the easiest solution for our cm problem is just buying a cm? Before you mention Cazorla I’m not sure Odegaard has the same long range passing ability.

Odegaard drops quite a bit and has a good range in his passing. He also doesn’t mind getting dirty with his pressing or putting a tackle in.
His best performances at Sociedad came from deep as well. It’s not something foreign to him.

If Ceballos can play deeper in a double pivot for us then so can Odegaard.

Ceballos is an actual centre midfielder. Ceballos doesn’t have the refined and ingenuity of a #10. In that sense him and Odegaard are quite different. His short passing, his ability to find and see room in the small space, close control and ability to get past players in very small spaces are pretty unique these days. It doesn’t make sense to not use that where it’s the most useful (opponents penalty area).

2 Likes

I completely agree…Odegaard is a pure No.10 and works well in the system we are currently playing. We shouldn’t play good players out of position. 4-2-3-1 seems to be our preferred system. We have to strengthen in midfield in the summer and add some quality players. IMO we need two central midfielder signings in the summer to work alongside and interchange with Partey and Xhaka.

Personally I would still look to sign Buendia, and see if we can either permanently sign Odegaard or sign him for another season. An attacking 3 of ESR-Odegaard-Buendia would be very strong, as ESR and Buendia would player more narrower and more centrally, allowing our full backs to get forward. Saka and Pepe offer wider options and ESR can interchange with Odegaard in the No.10 position. That gives us plenty of options for starting lineup and good options for substitutes during the game.

Ceballos came in as a #10 didn’t he? That’s where be played when he shined for Spain’s U21s.
Anyway, I’m not calling for Odegaard to play as a #6. I’m saying that he is perfectly capable of playing as an #8 as well, a position where he shined the most so far in his career. You can then use all of Partey, Odegaard and ESR in midfield.

Out of curiosity, have you watched Odegaard in La Liga?

1 Like

That’s the best idea you’ve ever had bro

No. But I did watch him for 2,5 years in the Eredivisie where he wasn’t a number 8. And obviously see what he does here.

I don’t know as what Ceballos came here or what he did in Spain. But no way he’s a number 10 or potentially as good on that position as Odegaard. He, for what he has shown at Arsenal at least, is supposed to be a centre midfielder.

Ceballos can play in a more advanced role, but his best role is in central midfield as a #8. I’m still not convinced that we should sign him permanently in the summer. Real Madrid will be looking to sell a lot of players to raise funds for purchases, but thinking there will be better options for us in the summer.

1 Like

All this talk of being a #10 etc

Football has by and large moved on from such nailed on positions, you either adapt or die. If Odegaard has the attributes then why can’t he utilised in a plethora of positons a la KDB, David Silva, Bernado Silva et al?

2 Likes

And that’s where you hit the nail on the head. Odegaard can perfectly emulate a Bernardo/Silva role at #8.

There is a distinct difference between how Guardiola sets up his midfield with a single pivot and us with a double. That is not one-on-one comparable.

1 Like

There are better players for that position. Why play a player our of a natural position?

That’s the thing, it’s not an unnatural position for Odegaard. He has played deeper as a #8 before. That’s where he shined the most for Sociedad.

Arteta has talked about wanting us to eventually play a 4-3-3.
He has played around with it for some periods in games this season but couldn’t find the right balance.
Not sure what others think but that’s what I also saw him trying against West Ham later on in the game when he subbed off Xhaka.

I think it’s something that he’s considering. As you said, it’s something risky to change to at this stage of the season but it’s certainly an option for us.

Come on bro you talk about tactics like everything is new. Football hasn’t evolved to the point where positions aren’t nailed on anymore man. Fluidity in positioning has been around for a long time.

The real reason here is that football is cyclical. Deep lying playmakers were obsolete at one time in the early to mid 00s and guys like Pep were phased out. And then they were reborn again and once again became an important position.

Everything that’s being done now has been done before in the past. There really isn’t anything innovative outside of how the science of the game advances.

2 Likes