Emiliano Buendia

And he got 8 assists from it? Incredible. Those sort of stats usually mean he “created” a desperate long shot or took corners.

Esr joined the side when we hadn’t won for about 6 months or scored a goal from open play.

I mean that’s not strictly true. Buendia showed he could create good chances at Premier League level. The big question mark was whether he could score.

Which is the biggest question mark

So? ESR is a baller. That’s the point. You can tell ESR is special just by looking at his game.

Just because he didn’t have 20 G/A last season for the worst side in the league that makes Buendia not good enough?

1 Like

I replied to a first 11 which includes buendia over auba/esr/pepe

Ok, fair. :+1:
Personally, ESR would be in the side for me. Same for Auba.

1 Like

True, but his time in the Championship shows he can contribute in front of goal. I’d expect 5 league goals at least.

On the left side…absolutely. I see Auba as the #9 and Pepe on the right.

He has only ever played as a left winger in the Spanish second division. Now you want us to spend limited money on him and play him for Arsenal on the left wing.

Fair you have that much faith

Emi could probably play deeper because he has a ton of energy winning the ball back as well, his pressures and pressure regains plus tackles are off the charts, the guy would be a steal. I liken it to how Santi was super cheap for us and everyone was sleeping on him and he came here and balled out cuz he was such a quality player.

Goodness maybe he is the best player, he can play centre midfield despite never playing there, he can play cam, he can play left wing right wing upfront.

Love it let’s get him

2 Likes

Once again Santi was a left winger and brought here to play as a CM, its not really an outlandish idea.

The caveat of all this being we get a real manager that can develop these players.

Santi played all over the pitch for Malaga, including as part of a double pivot. When Wenger eventually moved him deeper into midfield, it was a role he already some real experience playing.

His year at Malaga looked like this per Transfermarkt’s data:

1 Like

Oh I get that, but Santiago was a magnificent player. He also played deep before.

Buendia has over one more loss of possession from a poor touch and tackled per game than Xhaka in the championship. He gets red cards, his tackling is raw as fuck as well.

Really doesn’t change my point much considering Santi started as a winger and was moved centrally regardless of who thought of it first, this thing type of happens a lot actually. Ox was a winger and Klopp rated him enough to bring him to a top PL side and use him in the midfield (ppl with an eye for talent like me spotted it from a mile away btw). If you’ve got the talent you’ve got the talent.

The question is whether we have the requisite manager because when I consider Buendia’s strengths he’d most likely be a very effective at CM.

If only we didn’t sign Pepe we could go for both Odegaard and Buendia ffs.

That’s not because he’s wasteful, it’s because his role is to be adventurous attack wise and get into the box and try a lot of risky balls as well. His passing percentage is relatively low because of this. Look at KDB they are similar.

Don’t read too much into what his position on paper is.
Him starting as a RM/RAM isn’t really to benefit Buendia, it’s moreso to benefit others.
The guy is the one of the most free roaming olayers you’ll see around. You’ll see him go deep on the left side asking for the ball or doing combinations with Cantwell or Pukki that usually lead to chances.

Santi and Alexis were like that.

His tackling stats are pretty damn good actually.

Sure he’s aggressive but why is that a negative.

I can see his point to be fair. His tenacity at times has caused his side.
He has toned it down but I doubt you’ll ever get it completely out of him. He’s South American after all. You may see him get mad at others as well.

Santi

Alexis

KDB

Can play anywhere.

Come on guys I’m nearly there…

I’ve always liked the guy, but we have alot of wingers and we can’t afford an expensive experimental centre midfield run. I much rather just sign a centre midfielder.

1 Like