Emile Smith Rowe (10)

In terms of the starters I think his output has been replaced tbh and I have doubts he’ll be able to score like that consistently anyway.

It’s not like he was playing proper central and the goals have been shared out pretty well this season.

I almost finished this post before I saw yours.

Yeah, and we saw this throughout the whole season. Arteta’s big issue is his reluctance to change the winning starting XI, both intra 90 mins, as we saw against Liverpool, or between games.

Even with a guy like Trossard, who made a strong case for the starting XI, he hesitated to bring him on before the 80th minute while we were being dominated.

Jorginho did very good so far also, still wasn’t used.

What to expect from ESR in that context.

Tbf you can’t expect ESR to feature much this season (both looking at the options up front, Trossard mainly; and his current form). But at least Arteta should be more open to use him when we need to rest Martinelli or Saka, or even as an attacking alternative to Xhaka when we need a goal (definitely brings more than Vieira even playing with a broken foot ffs).

2 Likes

Unfortunately for Emile, he returned at the worst time possible.
He’s in the same spot as some others in the team not in that starting XI of Ramsdale, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Odegaard, Partey, Xhaka, Saka, Jesus and Martinelli.

At this point in the season Arteta will simply not play around with the team or rotate.

There’s no side competition to give them chances so unless someone’s injured(like Saliba) or not fit enough from that group then it’s bench for them till the end of the season.

Even Trossard who had some impressive outings himself recently pretty much lost his spot after Jesus returned.

1 Like

Again something that bemuses me with people wanting to exit competitions.
When do players get game time on that outlook.

3 Likes

Yep yep

No way he’s done, he’s an ideal archetype for a Pep/Mikel set up. I think Mikel will persist with him personally.

Far too talented to sell to some shitters like Villa on a Chambers/Iwobi/Willock special. Although if the right bid came in

1 Like

In fairness the teams Arteta played should have been good enough to advance over Sporting, not like Arteta tanked the competition, for whatever reason the players shat the bed and just never looked convincing all EL.

4 Likes

I agree. I really believe Arteta wanted to go far in this. This squad must be capable of competing on multiple fronts until the latter stages.

Arteta will have been furious going out to Sporting.

1 Like

In theory, could have used him Vs Liverpool.

Hope Arteta is not too wary or hope he doesn’t have much reason to be wary.

Nketiah is levels below Jesus so no argument there but Trossard, with his versatility will definitely play a role in the remaining fixtures. He doesn’t have to replace Jesus to get into the team.

But getting knocked out of Europe by inferior, sub-Champions League standard teams is, at this point, the norm under Arteta, rather than the exception.

Not sure I’m good just putting the blame on the players and effectively absolving Arteta by saying the teams he selected should have been good enough to win.

If year after year a manager sends out a bunch of players who are good enough to defeat their opponents, but they fail to and get knocked out of the competition, the manager definitely has to shoulder some of that. It’s a bit of a pattern at this stage.

I don’t disagree that it’s concerning, all 3 of our Europa League exits under Arteta have been bitterly disappointing.

2 Likes

Should we sell, if the money is right?

• Yes, cash in on him
  • No, he should stay

0 voters

Cash in, what’s the point of him his last few appearances made look like he has regressed a lot.

We wait till the last few games are played before contemplating this question.

What are we gonna cash in on exactly?

Nobody’s paying good money for him after his injury and limited game time now.

Anything above 40-50 you’d have to consider, and then put that towards Caicedo and Rice if he does go.

1 Like

Too early to answer but if we get a nice offer for him it’s be hard to say no based on his availability over the course to his career.

2 Likes

A big offer will be difficult to turn down.

He’s not got an obvious role in the team. Is it LW, is it 10, is it 8? He’s got time on his side but where does he find minutes atm? He’s arguably 3rd choice in all of those roles.

On paper, he should be a genuine option and in the rotation with Saka, Martinelli, Trossard and Odegaard. But he’s not at the level to be considered a real option. It’s a shame as last season he looked ready to break out.

I hope he gets a moment before the end of this season. I’d love nothing more than for him to become a regular player for us. But his injury record also works against him.

If we had a player like Leao available and contributing over a whole season, you have to choose somebody who is actually fit over a player who is often injured.

It would be ruthless to move him on but if we’re serious about challenging for big trophies over the next 3+ years, then we can’t carry a crocked ESR. His role in the team needs replacing.

1 Like

i think we should keep but unfortunately i reckon he will be going…his shirt number will be used for a higher profile player i feel.