Eddie Nketiah (14)

I want a “better” striker, but till Eddie fails…
like I said, he deserves the chance, and he is in good form right now.

if we do get a striker, we’d better get a “better” one, not someone similar to Eddie

Eddie is a better finisher and better in the box than Jesus, however Jesus is better in all other aspect of the game.

Our striker hasn’t been our focal point for scoring all season. If anyone is going to “lead us to victory” it will be the entire front line and our midfield chipping in.

Eddie showed last night that when he plays alongside the rest of our first team, we are stil a great side that dominates play and creates chances.

4 Likes

Good point this. Goals been spread around all season.
Eddie being brought in and not harming that cohesion is key.
Not for the first time 3 different scorers on the sheet.

10 Likes

At the end of the day, we can’t go three months with one recognised striker. It will be interesting to see if the new striker has a completely different profile to Jesus and Eddie (i.e. tall physical and good in the air) or whether he has similar traits.

It feels that some are waiting for Eddie’s first bad or goalless game to say ‘I told you so’.

I’m not expecting much from him in 5-10 games but so far, he’s passing the test.

There is no new striker coming in.

We need a winger and a midfielder which is far more crucial.

Likewise there is no new midfielder coming in.

It looks like winger is the only guaranteed one in this window. Any other move will depend on if a good opportunity presents.

There has to be a New striker or at least somebody able to play there. We only have Eddie and Martinelli and the latter hasn’t played cf for two seasons.

2 Likes

Giroud, anyone?!

Geezer would surely love to finish off his career with a Premier League title :grin:

We’ll only get a striker if there are more injuries in our forward line or Jesus appears to be out for longer imo.

Seeing him on crutches after surgery indicates months not weeks my friend. Surely we can not be so negligent to be an injury or illness to Eddie away from chaos.

If we decide to buy somebody as a plaster over a broken leg at least bring Balogun back.

Having one striker over winter is suicide.

I mean even if Jesus was to return at the end of next month (highly unlikely), he’d still need to get back up to speed and we’re still an Eddie injury from trauma.

I don’t see how we can’t bring a forward in who can play as CF.

I haven’t see anything from the current management recently that suggests to me they would go for the luxury of having an extra man “just” in case.

Btw, we’re also one Partey injury away from trauma too despite the obvious concerns about his availability.

In both cases I think the club will step IF the right opportunity presents itself or our backs are against the wall.

We have El Nenny who can cover for Partey. Obviously it’s a big drop off but Arteta trysts him. We also have Sambi. You can argue the quality but not the depth. We have three players who have played the role this season.

We have zero players after Eddie and Jesus who have started as striker this season.

We will see but expecting Eddie to play ten plus games straight without natural cover would be suicide.

I agree that we won’t sign a player for the sake of it and it has to be somebody that Arteta likes the profile of.

Even with the Partey point, we actually bid for Luiz in September.

The board won’t leave us light in attack.

And we didn’t get him and had no alternatives.
Same happened last January when we were clearly short on strikers and midfielders and signed nobody in the end after offloading a bunch of players.

That’s what I’m saying. Unless the right opportunity presents itself or the club have genuinely got their backs against the wall, they won’t move for a striker just like they won’t move for a midfielder.

This isn’t what you said though. You suggested that an Eddie injury would be what would prompt a signing.

In essence, we would need to have to go down to having no striker options. Can’t see it happening.

I don’t think we’ll bring a midfielder in. We are nowhere near as light there.

NO! Imagine the trauma of being in a title race and Giroud goes on a goal drought!

I rate Giroud but just no!

I think Mudryk being an attacking winger is seen as a one size fits all too the forward role.
A very direct player who isn’t quite as much a touchline winger as Martinelli.
I think we see this as offering more options and interchangeable with players we already have.
Martinelli could then come into a more central type role should Eddie take a knock etc.
I feel the key to the side is keeping the mobility,shape so the midfield is involved. Aspects of City title win without an out and out striker.

3 Likes

For what is worth, Arteta himself said Martinelli can play as a striker in the past and even said this recently in an interview on arsenal.com.