Eddie Nketiah (14)

11 goals in his last 11 starts at home in all comps is a very good stat, credit to him for making a difference in front of goal, it’s the least we can ask from our striker.

His ability to sense the goal, and pick his spot when in the box has always been one of his strengths, it was more the other areas in his game where there could be some reservation. But a hungry, confident Nketiah is a dangerous proposition with his movement and finishing ability, and it seems playing at home enhances that.

There will be tougher tests and he won’t be the answer against every opponent but he’s a strong option to have and I’m happy to have him here.

3 Likes

The guy has barely had a string of first team games in his career to date and people make judgements like there watching the final product.

The growth from him already is pretty incredible. He’s only going to get stronger, faster and more composed.

It’s a shame people seem hell bent on expecting him to perform at a similar level to a world class player in his prime instead. The moans from the crowd when he gave the ball away a couple time were pretty disheartening to hear.

12 Likes

There are clearly a lot of fans with agendas and it’s shocking.

I’m by no stretch a huge believer in Eddie but he’s got to be credited for his 2022. Scored frequently and has been working on his game.

He’s proven that he has goals in him.

2 Likes

The other thing people underrate about Eddie is he does EXACTLY what Arteta tells him to every time he plays, he knows the system and the role inside out and can slot into our team any time. Nobody we might sign can say the same.

2 Likes

Jesus doesn’t look good in that picture…

It was a very neat and tidy goal from Eddie, not taking anything off from him, especially it was Kehrer guarding him :slight_smile:
He had a good game yesterday, no doubt.
I give him a B+

The general attitude of the fanbase to Eddie reminds me of the attitude to Giroud. People get angry with him for not being what he’s not rather than appreciating him for what he is, and whatever he does will inevitably not be enough for some.

And like when Giroud was here, were Nketiah at another PL club we’d see a lot of people inside and outside of the club talking about how he’s exactly the kind of option we need.

1 Like

No that’s completely different. One was our main striker. Eddie is the back up.

7 Likes

The only similarity between Giroud and Nketiah is that both are in the team to replace far superior players in Van Judas and Gabby Jesus.

2 Likes

He is not going to be enough to lead the line. He’s one of the worst strikers we’ve had in recent years.

1 Like

Welbeck Chamakh Perez Bendtner and Vela are taking that accolade well before Eddie is.

2 Likes

I reckon he’s about the same as them tbh.

Time will tell I suppose

Don’t know if Eddie can really lead the line (in long period of time), but his ball control was pretty slick and he shows a lot of confidence when having the ball, which is a good sign.

1 Like

Can’t really compare the two… Giroud was playing week and week out for years and years… Eddie only had one proper run (relively short one), at the of the last season, and he did well, and he’s on the start of another run now. Besides that he was getting garbage time, or a very odd start here and there.

You have to give more credit to Eddie considering the time spent on the pitch and his age (not too young but he’s still young; he’s definitely inexperienced), also taking into account he’s definitely showing progress as a player since last season. You could see in the summer he was simply different on the ball compared to previous years where he just didn’t do anything, and he showed that yesterday too.

I’m still somewhat bewildered with the technical ability he started showing since the end of last season. At times he literally looks special, the way he recieves the ball, the way he turns with it, the touch, the agility… Very hard to handle when he’s on the ball. Definitely needs to improve on the decision making though, but you would expect him to do that with some added experience. Atm I think he has fairly high potentential and a lot will depend on how he uses this period withous Jesus.

I guess he just didn’t look good so far this season, coming off the bench, because of his lack of experience. Much harder for a young player to impact a game in a short time (unless you’re a Messi/Ronaldo level talent) and adjust himself both to his team and to the opponent compared to an experienced player who knows how the game works, who can predict things on the pitch, knows his role.

4 Likes

I think people are missing the context here.

We’re the league leaders and could possibly win it all.

The question is can an inexperienced player in one of the two most important positions—of which we have almost no depth—can he lead us to a title victory?

It’s not about Nketiah specifically. It’s about winning the league.

2 Likes

Ask me in a month’s time.

1 Like

The situations of the two players is different. The attitude of the toxic fanbase is pretty similar.

Yea exactly. Guy could hit an incredible run for all we know. Joe Willock managed it ffs. I often remember Chris Wreh too. Title charges often make unlikely heros.

1 Like

really depends how many games Jesus is going to miss (completely)

for me, Eddie deserves his chance.

if he fails, we can try Martinelli as striker and then it will be Vieira/ESR/Marquinhos as LW

Not if we have aspirations of winning the league, Ron.

Going 1-0 down going into Half Time in any of our next four games, and I strongly feel Eddie struggles to score and get us back in the game.

1 Like