Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Depends how we play it, we have enough options that we should be able to get the player to push the move like we did with Ramsdale.

1 Like

Sideways, forwards, backwards it don’t matter. We’ll still take their players at the end of the day. Like anyone wants to play for Everton ffs. Born Blue…Die Red.

1 Like

Tbf, Sheffield were in the Championship so we had more of a leverage. I also think Sheffield eventually gave in because of their bad start. The risk of not bouncing back up and Aaron’s value dropping was too big for them.
Everton and Villa are established clubs that won’t have a problem pushing back. I’m hoping that won’t be the case for Brentford.

1 Like

Too right. We robbed them blind when they bought Iwobi.

1 Like

That guy’s clearly trolling. Everton just bought Andros Townsend. That’s all you need to know about that club.

1 Like

Of the strikers we’ve been linked with, he is probably the best replacement for Aubameyang.
He was pretty consistent last season and was doing ok before his injury this season.
So if he can score regularly for Everton, with their midfield, he should do alright here, although I wouldn’t pay much more than 50m for him.

It doesn’t matter anyway because Everton are asking for 80m and the board aren’t going to give Arteta that sort of money, unless they are completely mad.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t shock me if we spent 70 million on him tbh, we have been spending money lately.

I just think we could look abroad and get a similar quality player for half that, much like what I thought with White etc.

1 Like

Who dat?

I’m listing individials and I like the look of White, I just reckon if you look hard enough in Germany, Italy, France etc you’ll be able to find quality CB’s at 25 million etc.

Now it isn’t my money so I’m not really fussed as long as we continue to improve the squad in all areas, but my opinion is you do have to pay overs for English players.

We spent 30m for Gabriel, and the issue is it usually takes 1-2 seasons for the player to acclimatise, unless they are a top quality 100m signing. Other issues can be language at the beginning, maybe cultural cliques for various nationalities, and I do also think there is a suspicion media & referees will have more natural sympathies with domestic players.

Not saying we suddenly have to.go all domestic with transfers now, but a mix is definitely good.

I think Calvert-Lewin is good, but that would be such a wild overpay.

Milner not getting sent off against City felt like one of those moments. His reputation unconsciously led the referee into
making a decision in Milner’s favour.

2 Likes

He’s Bellerin’s replacement given their fashion style

1 Like

Not a huge fan of his playing style, it’s too agricultural for me, but I can admit to being a snob.

His actual style is outstanding though.

2 Likes

Tarkowski, Lingard, DCL etc. are the type of Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Barry signings that set the foundations for Man City’s dominance.

At least I believe so, depends on how they execute their long term plan.

1 Like

Very true. Bonesaw FC will have to stabilize the club with some grizzled veterans before taking that next leap.

City clearly went through phases.

The Bellamy, Kolo Toure, Jo, Robinho phase.

The Yaya Toure, Silva, Aguero phase.

Then the Pep phase where it just got silly. Quarter of a billion on fullbacks, Nathan Ake for ÂŁ600m just to sit on the bench, Ferran Torres just for shits and giggles.

I assume the PIF would have taken note.

1 Like

I don’t know why exactly, but from the early days of City’s wealth, the player who always comes to mind for me first is Elano.

1 Like

City 07/08 were a good watch.

Elano, Giovani, Jo, Martin Petrov etc

4 Likes

Looking at that squad, Stephen Ireland was quite a player for couple of seasons, then vanished.

Didn’t know Kasper Schmeichel was in City. Shame he didn’t stick around and became a Manchester City legend. that would have been juicy

4 Likes

Great shout. What a bizarre signing. They had some duds in that phase. But if you print money, who really cares?