Dayot Upamecano

It is a bit odd why the club would sell such a prized asset in a January transfer window with 18 months to run on his contract, rather than just 6

1 Like

Yep, yep. To be fair, if it’s for a relatively logical price(20-30m) I would take the risk and see how it goes.
There’s definitely flags all over the place so going big on him is an absolute :no_good_man:, plus, despite what many think or believe, I personally don’t think that at the moment he’s really better than our current defenders barring Mavro and I would put him on par with Musti.

Yeah, I do think it is something we shall have to think long and hard about. Apparently a bit injury prone as well.

We should really be careful in the window I believe.
Shows how incompetent we were with Emery’s sacking. I’m more concerned with Mikel improving the current lot and evaluating where everyone stands. I’m sure a lot of clubs are already preying on a desperate Arsenal to panic and throw money at someone who’s not worth it.

20-30M? They were talking about 70m in the summer

What are they? Since I don’t watch him.

All I’ve ever heard of him comes mostly from people who play video games where he seems to be rated so I had him down as kinda like the CB version of Tielemans until this summer, but this article made me think about him differently:

Are you serious??? Mustafi is one of the worst defenders in the league! All the scout reports and evidence from the German league suggest Upamecano is a good defender already with a lot of potential to get a lot better. RB Leipzig are at the top of the Bundesliga…Upamecano would walk into the Arsenal first team as he is better than all our other current CBs.

Oh and as for why they would sell in January…maybe because if the club know he is not going to sign a new deal, they may want to extract the maximum value from him as they probably cannot afford him to go for free. Rumour was we put a bid in for him late in the Summer window, but Leipzig were holding our for more…they may not want to lose him, but they want to do a deal if the price is right.

He’s got 18 months on his contract so there’s no need to sell him mid season whilst they’re top of the Bundesliga.

I’m with you there .

With Chambers injured this might force our hand.
We have to buy at least one CB anyway so we might as well pay a bit more and get him in while we can.

If we are serious about him, it would be better to get him used to the PL because to have him and Saliba as a CB pairing next season, with no experience in this league, wouldn’t be ideal.

Yes exactly…and his value will drop each window…they will get more for him in Jan than they would in the summer…

Thing is we kind of have to take some risks with young talent even if they have some doubts at this stage don’t we ? As long as the ceiling is high?

Or we just going to spend 80 million quid on a near finished article like VVD ?

Upamecano is going to cost in excess of €50 million. Not sure why people assume he would be cheap or easily available.

Having said that he is 21 years old. A lot of room for development still, physically but also as player.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not saying he will or won’t be, what I’m saying is I can’t see us paying for an elite world class finished product. So ultimately I think we’ll need to take a risk with a younger player with a high ceiling somewhere.

1 Like

Why do something sensible and pro active like that, to get a player for a position that you desperately need top quality for, when you can blow the same amount on two players like Xhaka and Mustafi? :grinning:

1 Like

Some sources claim his release clause drops to 60m Euros in the summer. There is also the concern ‘what if he gets injured for 6 months’ in May? Then you can’t really sell him in the summer and you don’t maximise value.

Same reason we should probably sell Auba in Jan. If we don’t manage to flog him in the summer - see Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis - we lose them on frees or pay them extornate wages

We lost Ramsey on a free because he wanted to go on a free. Sanchez’ situation was handled badly.

He can be extremely clumsy. Most of the praise I can accept is that he is an “attacking” CB. Not only does he like passing forward but he tends to take on players by himself and dribble past a few. Whenever I’ve seen him do it though it’s always a close call. Feel like we already have a lot of clunky defenders who while talented, pull off the weirdest shit that blows your mind. All in all, there’s a lot of talent in there but he’s far from a ready made defender. He’ll be ripped to pieces in the Prem for sure, especially early on.

He’s a super athlete at a young age. If we have the means, and the opportunity to get him comes about, we need to get him.

Whoscored have him ranked in the top 15 of DCs.

My only concern is that I’m not convinced he’s available, unless we activate his release clause.

Twitter posts/rumours mean nothing.

1 Like

With Sokratis and Luiz on the books next season, I doubt anybody is going to buy them, there is enough room and time for (another) young defender to take in and develop for the future.