Daniele Rugani

Or maybe it’s the player that wants to move, rather than the club trying to get rid of him?

Ornie doesn’t really say anything until he’s being briefed when it’s actually done

1 Like

True.

I definitely trust the process.

The new process would never have us looking for Rugani if he wasn’t the only major available CB at this point of the window.

If we had 1 week even left instead of 1 day, we’d be nowhere near this deal.

Red flag imo. Another desperation buy. I’ve had enough of those.

He’s obviously not going to be worse than Mustafi.

But this isn’t the kind of signing we make if we are fully serious.

1 Like

Rugani was just as much a rumour at the start of the window as he is now. He hasn’t just sprung up out of nowhere.

We’ve been scouting Rugani since 2015/16 by all accounts. He wasn’t actually available at the start of the summer until Juventus signed Demiral and De Ligt. And even then there were rumblings that Sarri wanted to work with him and Juventus wanted to have 5 CBs.

I think this isn’t actually a panic buy but more a case of he’s available and Kos has left, so we have to bring someone in and he’s someone we’ve looked at for a while now.

6 Likes

I see you’re already trying to convince yourself that Rugani might work :pires2:

1 Like

I don’t think he works haha. I hope he does, because I’m a sucker for Italian CBs and I genuinely rated the guy at one point.

But I think this has dud written all over it despite his obvious qualities.

1 Like

Sounds like from the description from ppl who watch Serie A (Besides SRCJJ) that Rugani and Papa will be a decent pairing and definitely an upgrade on Mustafi. However a 40m obligation to buy is bulll shit, hope we’ve negotiated a better deal than that unless we really rate him.

It’s important you listen to the Juventus fans. They can’t wait to get rid of him and will basically take whatever decent offer they get for him.

However I’m trying to take comfort from the fact that Barzagli wasn’t the best CB in his 20s (always strong in one to one situations but had a lot of mistakes in him and concentration lapses) and eventually developed into one of the best defenders in the world.

:man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Sanllehí was hired under Gazidis, so erm…yeah…

So you’re saying there’s a chance we’re signing the next Barzagli?

5 Likes

That’s certainly not promising

You guys know what I mean, he was never first choice. I do remember us being linked with Mustafi for a while too, but not taking the plunge until late.

I doubt he was first choice, and Rugani is either. We shouldn’t be forced to look way down our list just because there’s little time left.

This is when expensive mistakes get made.

Like Welbeck.

And there you have it.

Not even Juventus fans, Milan and Inter fans have been laughing at him for years, and now are probably laughing at us.

His mentality gives me red flags as well, from what I hear from them.

This just feels wrong.

I’d love for him to mature into a beast here, but come on lads what’s more likely?

Edit:

I see comments like, ‘softie’ and mentally not ready to start for Juve, ‘perfect Arsenal defender’ cos we are seen as being mentally weak…

A new lease of life is perhaps what a player like Rugani needs after showing so much promise only to be stifled at Juve.

This type of signing could go either way. Regardless, he has to be better than our current options bar Sok.

5 Likes

Clubs rarely get their first choice. That doesn’t mean other alternatives are bad choices. Arsenal has been scouting Rugani for a long time. They’re not just making a mad dash for whoever is available before the window closes (Mertesacker was called a “panic buy” as well). Emery has been saying all along that they will only buy players they believe will help the club.

One thing to keep in mind is that a few years ago this guy was Saliba/Konate/Upamecano (in terms of being considered on the verge of becoming one of the top defenders in the world). Largely due to being stuck behind veterans who have actually been among the best defenders in the world, he has never realized his potential. That doesn’t mean the potential is no longer there. Obviously Arsenal sees something in him if they’re serious about acquiring him. Maybe all he needs is a chance.

2 Likes

I mean, are we sure it was Wenger doing it? He’s been removed from the equation and the result is still the same… Just sayin’.

I would have gone with “Rugi can’t fail!”

1 Like

That thread is slightly alarming that’s for sure. The one that got me was:
“If he’s sold, we have 4 CBs. If he stays, we have 4 CBs.” :laughing:

Let’s just hope there’s some hyperbole in all of that.

1 Like