Cristiano Ronaldo rape allegations

BTW I’ve got to say that @SRCJJ and @Gunnerpr have been making some great posts in this thread. Very articulately summing up the way I view things.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure if you read into you’ll find the standard of evidence doesn’t need to be as high because most times it can’t be. That’s what a law graduate told me anyway

I thought it was the exact opposite…

Do we actually believe that they have a signed document from CR7 of him admitting all of that? Or do we think in fact that it’s more likely this is her recollection of what CR7 said?

"Mayorga’s lawyer’s claim relies in part on a document, which includes Ronaldo’s description of what happened that night. In that document, the soccer player is quoted as saying: “She said no and stop several times.”

We’ll find out in due time ofcourse. Although I’d imagine the likely scenario is that she’ll be paid off and mud will in fact stick.

Well here’s just one article (well a bit of one cos there’s a paywall) that pretty much dispels the idea out of hand.

I do, because it is such an easily verifiable thing, they either have them or they don’t. If they are lying about having these documents they’ll definitely be found out. I can’t see the logic to lying about it personally.

Top avatar @Sol :ok_hand:

1 Like

Well wernt these documents obtained from hackers?

Which I’m guessing makes that evidence inadmissible even if it was 100% authentic.

It has happened though. People lie about easily verifiable things too. And get away with it. Just look at Donald Trump.

I’m at work but I’ll respond to your post later @arsenescoatmaker

Donald Trump isn’t the most salient of comparisons to draw imo. He’s operating in the world of politics, where he can make statements that are verifiable false and get away with it because it’s what enough people want to hear.

What I’m saying (perhaps clumsily) is that if this gets to court her legal team will find themselves in a situation in which they have to back up their claims. If they have documents from the time in which Ronaldo makes certain admissions about the events then they will have to produce those documents and prove it. If they are lying and don’t have evidence of him saying those things then they will be found out. This is why for the moment I’m inclined to believe them when they say there is hard evidence, because it would be a bizarre lie because they will have to back their words up.

Yea I can’t read the article but conviction rates doesn’t necessarily reflect the standard of evidence. Most rape convictions are determined mainly on one witness statement. There’s many other crimes where people get off where there is only one witness statement. Because motivation of the witness and the witnesses memory is not always reliable.

One thing that does interest me is if his admission of guilt in the past is true (which if he signed an out of court settlement and if what he said is verifiable then it obviously is), then surely he has absolutely no leg to stand on in denying the claims as he has?

For anyone who is particularly well read on the case has he denied an out of court settlement?

1 Like

They say they have a document. To me it sounds like the alleged victims witness statement.

In that document, the soccer player is quoted as saying: “She said no and stop several times.”

So he’s quoted in the document, by who exactly? I presume by the alleged victim

An out of court settlement doesn’t mean he’s admitted responsibility. His brand wouldn’t want negative press so may want to simply buy any bad press away.

Also he’s surrounded by the world’s best lawyers. I can’t see them wording it to make him sound culpable.

I know a woman who was sent to prison for making up a rape allegation so it definitely happens.

1 Like

You are only viewing this from the point of view that what she is after is moral consolation, justice, etc. If it is indeed justice that she seeks, then yes, indeed there is no point in lying.

There are at least 2 other scenarios in which fabricating an admission of guilt will serve her purposes and no one will care if it ends up being fake news.

1 Like

On what are you basing that?

The point is if there is an admission of guilt, rather than an accusation. The former would be tested very quickly and easily in court.

No, not quoted by the alleged victim. They are saying there are documents which quote him saying it himself.

The article below is the one that everyone needs to read, I thought it was the one quoted in OP but that one is very short and no way near as detailed. People should take the time to read it.

I’m not saying he definitely did it, but it looks like there could be a strong case to be answered. That’s my point.

From this article:

That complaint is supported by a 27-page document that could have far-reaching consequences for the football star. The document contains a version of how Ronaldo experienced that night, including the following quote: “She said no and stop several times.”

The Questionnaire

The Football Leaks documents show that Mayorga’s lawyer Mary Smith contacted a lawyer of Ronaldo’s in England in mid-2009. She said she represented a plaintiff in Las Vegas in a case against the football player. The lawyer forwarded the mail onward to Ronaldo’s Portuguese lawyer Carlos Osório de Castro, who has represented Ronaldo for years on all kinds of legal matters.

“What do you think this is about?”

Osório de Castro answered: “No idea.”

By the end of July, it was clear that it was serious. Several lawyers had become involved in the case by then, including one based in California who had represented several prominent personalities in court. Ronaldo’s lawyers discussed what the best course of action might be.

A list containing hundreds of questions was submitted to Ronaldo, his brother-in-law and his cousin. In the document, Ronaldo is referred to as “X” while Kathryn Mayorga is referred to as “Ms. C.”

There are several versions of the questionnaire. The questions remain more or less consistent on all of them, but the answers do not.

In one version from December 2009, Ronaldo speaks of consensual sex and that there had been no indication that she wasn’t OK with it during sex nor did it seem that she wasn’t doing well afterward.

But there is another, much earlier version. It is the document that could have serious consequences for Ronaldo. It was sent via email in September 2009. The sender was a lawyer from Osório de Castro’s firm. The recipients were Osório de Castro himself and an additional colleague.

In response to the question as to whether Ms. C. ever raised her voice, screamed or called out, X responded, according to the document: “She said no and stop several times.”

In the document, X says that she was lying on her side. “I entered her from behind. It was rude. We didn’t change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn’t want to, but she made herself available.” And further: “But she kept saying ‘No.’ ‘Don’t do it.’ ‘I’m not like the others.’ I apologized afterwards.”

He is quoted in the document as saying that she never screamed and never called out for someone.

Ticking Clock

Question: Did Ms. C. say anything afterwards about the sex being too brutal?

X: “She didn’t complain about it being brutal. She complained that I forced her. She didn’t say anything about wanting to go to the police.”