Cost of Living

Brexit meant we left the IEM and so how we acquire energy has changed and the changes (from single process to two processes) lead to less favourable trading terms so definitely contributes to some extent

1 Like

I believe the fact we’ve restricted our own energy companies from getting more oil and gas, and becoming energy independent has had a greater impact. Plus look at Germany how is that helping them compared to France who are more energy independent.

1 Like

Germany are fucked because they’re closing down nuclear plants.

That doesn’t mean renewables are bad, it means their policy is.

Not arguing other factors are not equally or more responsible, only that it doesn’t help…

Nuclear is the answer (even medium term whilst looking to replace with renewables long term) but that doesn’t fit in with the Net Zero obsession.

Not being energy self sufficient was always going to end up with average Joe paying more.

Renewables long term is a brilliant idea, that I fully support - going about it without a viable plan is insanity

2 Likes

They’ll kill the middle class in the US eventually. Then you’ll have millionaires, billionaires, trillionaires, and poor people (99% of the population). The current faux inflation is just the most recent step toward that goal.

Closing down nuclear while increasing renewables but it’s not enough to replace the energy generated by it

But it’s not a binary thing. You do both.

The architect of PFI, the guy that sold off our gold should not be rehabilitated even if he is miles ahead of these morons.

@Stroller

Thoughts on this?

1 Like

Yeah voted in favour. Company broke off negotiations and imposed 2 percent on us. Also coming for allowances on shifts, and machine payments.
Again fucking shareholders made bumper profits through covid and here is our rewards.
Some unattainable productivity bonus scheme thrown at us as chump change.
Has to be challenged.

10 Likes

I await the op-eds claiming you’re greedy bastards.

1 Like

Is your Mick Lynch any use?

Dave Ward. Talks the talk but we will pass on giving accolades yet.

3 Likes

The sad way of the world now :disappointed:

Our company literally tried to disguise a rise in national minimum wage as a pay increase at one point.

1 Like

Yeah this is when the potential earnings the press feed the population becomes hilarious for those involved.

3 Likes

6 Likes

:joy: this is a universal truth. I’m still looking for that classroom teacher somewhere out there who earns 60 grand a year.

6 Likes

It’s like when they talk about the earnings of train drivers and apply that figure to not only ever train driver in the country but also to regular customer service agents who work for transport companies.

And on top of that they act like a train driver who earns £50k should never have an issue with changes to their pensions, increased number of unsocial shifts, way below inflation pay rises and other issues that effect their job satisfaction

7 Likes

The irony being an actual ideological conservative should never countenance a situation where working hard for years to earn that wage and that standard of living doesn’t actually pay.

4 Likes

I wrote to my MP today. I made a number of personal points relevant to me and asked what he would suggest I do and how I’m supposed to cope. I won’t go into details as that’s not why I’m posting.

The point is, if only 1 in 10 wrote to their MP (of any party) to complain and demand answers then things would change. MPs have to respond in person (well via a PA) to their constituents in the UK, you can also book an appointment. The sooner they see that even working people in okay houses are mad as hell, the sooner they will worry about their re-election chances.

You can email your MP by finding them here but keep it constructive and polite. If they think you’re a nutjob they will immediately dismiss your opinion, find some common ground, massage their egos a bit, then make your point so they think you might be a swing voter;

3 Likes