Cost of Living

Wow it took 400 wind farms for 4.3gw, if the conditions are met; one coal plant generates 500mw now which one is more viable in the short term to move to nuclear…

1 Like

Why does the number of farms matter?

I’m not against nuclear power in the slightest either.

It’s not a myth people select the areas the benefit selling it.

Last year the government was mentioned how reliable wind was by stating running on high capacity, but when you look at the graph it was good for 1 day and the energy production dropped right back down.

1 Like

It matters very much, how do you increase capacity?

This is a crazy idea…but I’d probably have to go with building more wind farms.

I don’t know what your point is. Is it that we can’t rely fully on wind? Because no shit if so and no one suggested we should.

1 Like

Wow ok, umm for England to generate the amount of electricity it’s currently using via wind, a lot of country would be covered in wind farms….

1 Like

I’d be wary of listening to him as he encouraged everyone to go onto the flexible rate rtarrof when people’s fixed terms ended and that was a cluster fuck as bills continue to rise.

I work away a lot, since the beginning of July, I’ve been homes for about 4 days, I turn it all off at the walls and pull the plugs out, the only thing left running is the fridge, by electricity bill for the month was still £50 odd.

Luckily fixed my mortgage for 5 years and have another 3.5 years to run in that.

1 Like

Not one person said this should happen. How about debating what’s being said rather than the version of it that’s only in your head.

You even ignored the initial reference to wave energy generation in your first response on this.

3 Likes

In Jan I advised my girlfriend to extend her fixed term mortgage, I explicitly told her the borrowing during covid and shutting down of the economy will cause problems.

1 Like

I’m going to make this clear early because of what’s happened in previous threads about significant crises:

This thread will stay on topic, and it will not become an arena for anyone to make the same point over and over again.

The cost of living crisis is something that impacts us all, and we’re probably all going to want to discuss it. If your agenda is to derail discussion, dominate every point raised and drag it off topic, you will quickly find that will not fly.

There will not be a repeat of the covid and Ukraine threads.

I already have, early in the thread, I was making a point wind is unreliable and your opinion it isn’t; no need to start fuming lol :joy:

1 Like

I’m not fuming. I just think you enter these things in bad faith and you never ever ever want to answer any questions. Enjoy your evening :slight_smile:

Anyway the cost of living, is a problem brought about by government intervention:

1: money printing
2: intervention in the energy sector
3: artificial lowering of interest rates
4: covid policies

One of the first indicators of inflation was growing house prices.

2 Likes

I was looking to make an overpayment on my mortgage this autumn. Might have to think twice now. Probably need to end up saving it for energy bills.

Price caps, and not allowing exploration for my sources directly killed smaller energy suppliers.

1 Like

I stuck to British Gas during that time. I have that boiler cover thing with them as well for which I pay a monthly premium. Works out very expensive.

Net zero policy has made the energy market very volatile as it seems more western government oppose traditional forms of energy, thus disincentives companies to commit to looking for more, and investing in to unreliable energy and pass the cost to customer.

Same here mate, I can overpay by 7% a year I think and planned to until all this shit hit the fame, that’s all now going to get swallowed up by the extra energy, fuel and various other bits.

1 Like

Energy crisis was bound to happen. You cannot push net zero without a credible alternative and not expect energy producers to get money while they can. Ukraine, Covid, Brexit are all convenient for price hikes

3 Likes

I agree with everything except for brexit, more so the selling off of our oil reserves by May during her tenure as prime minister made this situation worse.
Offshoring your energy production as a country is a disaster of our own making.

Net zero is going to destroy us.