Cost of Living

A 20 year old Volvo estate :joy:

2 Likes

Ah yes, the favoured mode of transportation for serial killers / paedos. Good call on upgrading your vehicle brother

11 Likes

Yep, it’s all just made up anyway, product of fractional reserve system and move away from pinning currency value to a tangible asset (not that I specifically disagree with going away from the gold standard as such).

In some respects, high inflation has become necessary as poor allocation of resources has led to excessive growth of certain elements of the economy with the most pertinent example being housing. So now we need high inflation of prices to catch up to inflated asset prices to ultimately balance everything out again (to some degree, I’m not arguing we have ever had perfect balance to begin with).

It’s something I constantly grapple with mentally; on one hand it is apparent that the relatively unfettered nature of the capitalist approach inherently leads to resource allocation failures.

On the other hand, a heavily-regulated system is open to bias which ultimately results in a society which is not rooted in fairness and which, for me, is one of the core tenets, if not the core tenet, of a successful society.

1 Like

Two emails from the school today telling me my daughter due to good attendance and grades in school is entitled to 2 school trips as reward.
Great.
One will cost 23 quid and the other 27. Not so great.

3 Likes

This is like me at work hitting my targets that they increased by 50% and then being rewarded with increased targets again for next year, but also they can’t afford a pay increase due to budgetary restrictions caused by global economic factors.

Cheers lads.

2 Likes

Also is it just me or is it a bit fucked up to reward kids for doing well with a field trip that the other kids can’t go on? And then making you pay for it.

Punishing you for your child doing well.

1 Like

Probably extra sensitive to this topic given I have a wife with a disability/chronic health condition that she first got when she was 12, but I don’t like the idea of qualification for any school trips with your fellow pupils being dependant on good attendance, disadvantaging people whose attendance might be poor through no fault of their own.

8 Likes

Yeah good point. Also it’s pressure for people to find money for.
Also she supposed to be in school. We are supposed to make sure she goes. That’s the deal isn’t it?

4 Likes

Wow shocking. Schools are under pressure for good attendance for funding, but still this is unacceptable from even a safeguarding point of view. A child with irregular attendance is far more likely to be in a neglectful or abusive home, so depriving them of happiness in the form of a trip or even just as an escape from bad home life is a massive fail.

2 Likes

Without being hyper-critical, the trip should be heavily subsidised (I know that school budgets are restricted) or there should be an internal reward given by the school i.e. A party or even a bouncy castle.

What a shit take, why shouldn’t kids that attend school regularly and do well be rewarded, just because some can’t for one reason or another?? Deprive one set because another set may have problems…

1 Like

This is pretty good work, looking forward to the bites

2 Likes

Not really if a child works hard it’s a good incentive to reward it, but to say it should be reconsidered because another may not be able to hit that standard for whatever reason. This is the reason participation trophies are a thing.

1 Like

Completely missing the actual point and arguing against something that wasn’t said as per…

2 Likes

@shamrockgooner ” but I don’t like the idea of qualification for any school trips with your fellow pupils being dependant on good attendance, disadvantaging people whose attendance might be poor through no fault of their own.”

As per you don’t read.

1 Like

What about the kid who qualifies for the reward and then misses out because the parents for whatever reason doesn’t receive the payment too go.

2 Likes

That’s different the school should create a means for them to attend, as was said not every parent has the money for it. Subsides for kids from poorer households to lessen the cost for them.

1 Like

I didn’t even comment on it lol. Just remarking that you’ve missed the point. Again.

Right so just a pointless comment from a none parent that is not invested in raising a child.

1 Like

Don’t see why I should miss out on an opportunity to point out your nonsense just because I don’t have a kid :slight_smile: