Coronavirus

This is one thing I’ve never heard talked about in Brexit debate. The difference in public procurement when you are in the EU compared to not…I was involved in a procuring about a million quids worth of services and the number of hoops we had to jump through before handing that out was astronomical. And rightly so.

Not necessarily a response to your post, but I just quote you because I often see comparisons to the Korean model like this one and want to say a couple of things.

Blame your governments poor handling of the pandemic and praise the Korea track and trace system all you want, but you guys can’t deny that we - the population - play our part (could be a big one) in making Europe one of the hardest hit area in this pandemic.

I lived in South Korea for a year and I know they are one of the most hard working and disciplined people on this planet. They have a strong hierarchical sense which makes it easier for people to follow orders. And similar to other East Asian countries, they already have a culture of wearing masks and being cautious of infectious diseases.

And I’m afraid I can’t say the same things for Western people. Two foreign students were expelled from Korea for breaking the self isolation rule. And here (in France where I live) people who are in self isolation just casually go out, so much so the government had to reduce the isolation period from 14 to 7 days in the hope that they would be more conform. And if they put a tracking system on you, you will resist and say your privacy is violated. Fair enough, but then other cunts will break self isolation and infect tons of people. Can’t have it both ways. No wonder why we’re exploding with 30k+ new cases a day.

I can give more and more examples. Labs in Korea don’t stop working on weekends (they don’t stop at night also, for that matter). Guess what? We always have a drop off of cases in weekends. Students in Korea don’t gather by hundreds and party through the roof when ~1000 new cases are still being reported every day. And I bet the ratio of people lowering their masks under their noses in Korea is lower than Europe. All small things, but they contribute.

10 Likes

A video on how scientist have ended up misinforming media and masses.

I never understand how this sort of thing isn’t highlighted more by the opposition parties.
They should be all over this but they seem to let it go.
The Tories are inept but the opposition is even worse.
Every time they’re given an open goal, they don’t even see the ball, let alone score.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Oh and another one.

This is getting out of hand. “Agreed a deal”. Turning COVID into Brexit! Who cares what’s best for the people or if we ruin businesses or lives, as long as they line their own pockets.

1 Like

The North of England seems to get hit the worst by these regulations

1 Like

Wow tier 3 for Lancashire means they keep gyms and Leisure centres open. Go down well in Liverpool that,
wtf is going on here. Tory council in Lancashire. Disgraceful show of discrimination.

3 Likes

Don’t worry.

Scousers know you can wear a shellsuit outside the gym, too.

Yeah, the tiers were supposed to synchronise the rules. It’s become a complete joke.

They’re all making their own deals.

“Give us £50m”

“£40m, but gyms and beauticians can stay open.”

“Deal”.

Shameless.

1 Like

Your points are very well made although some western countries do a much better job of than others with Germany doing relatively better in Western Europe.

Unfortunately western governments in France and the U.K. have to plan for widespread breaking of rules rather than idealistically hoping the sizeable rule breaking minority isn’t a big problem. Personally as this costs lives in the thousands I would have taken a much stricter approach on enforcement much sooner no matter how unpopular it may have seemed. Even now enforcement is a joke and virtually non existent in most of the U.K. and the weaker the response the more the rule breaking grows.

Yeah agree. Final straw this now completely fucked up.
No reason now I can find for supporting the measures when they don’t exist. Game over.

1 Like

A lot of people are thinking the same.

Everything is so haphazard and the rules change far too quickly for people to understand.

Different areas have different rules, they are unclear and a lot of them don’t make sense.
The hypocrisy and lack of leadership from the government has meant that a lot people don’t trust their decision making anymore.

Johnson looks like a public schoolboy who’s pretending to be Prime Minister for the school play.
He can’t control his own dad, who is even more arrogant than him, so how can he be expected to run a country?

Yeah well fuck them. Ive worked all through this thing.
Going to cut a few more corners myself now. Meeting up with a few lads for a run. Let my daughter go and stay at my lad and girlfriend house.
I’ll do the mask and distancing thing but that’s it. Go my mates and watch the game. Just fuck them.

7 Likes

I really have no idea why Essex County council asked to put into the tier 2 level, I can only imagine that there were some financial dealings involved with that too.

1 Like

Of course there was. The council get money. Probably see lots of other regions asking to be moved to tier 2 for the millions they’ll get from the government.

2 Likes

Good on you sir. You just know the MPs won’t be sticking to the rules so why should we.

2 Likes

They can’t even seem too make rules now.

Yeah that’s basically what my girlfriend are doing.

I’m not going 6 months again without seeing my mates and I’ve got a nice garden we can sit in and I bought a fire pit and blankets to help keep warm in the winter months.

Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

The problem is whether I can get my friends to come round.

What happened to:

1 Like