Chelsea

Pure speculation but I think Roman played nice originally partly because he had no choice but also partly because he was trying to position himself as this useful intermediary between Putin and Ukraine who could help negotiate some kind of peace after Russia (as the assumption held at the time) won a quick military victory.

Given his longstanding relationship with Vlad, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was explicitly agreed - play nice with the UK government, because in a couple weeks we’ll need your help negotiating an end to the mess. Who knows, maybe you’ll even be allowed to keep the club in the end once sanctions are lifted?

Now we’re in a situation where the war is drawn out and no kind of peace negotiation seems likely anytime soon, certainly not one that Putin will be eager to accept. At this point playing nice with the UK government has zero upside for Roman so why not fight for that 1.5 billion pounds?

The alternative theory is essentially that Roman loves the club so much that he is willing to give up 1.5 billion pounds so that the sale can proceed quickly and Chelsea can more easily buy Declan Rice this summer.

Which sounds more realistic given what we know about billionaires?

3 Likes

How can any Arsenal supporter want spurs to finish in the CL?
If they do, Conte, as well as Kane and Son will stay, so they’ll have a lot more money to strengthen.
Chelsea are in trouble whatever happens because they will only be able to spend what they earn, rather than an owner buying the best players out of his own money.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest here, they’re staying regardless.
What club will buy them for whatever Spurs ask?

Kane had a chance with City and he blew it. Man Utd are rebuilding, Chelsea are fucked, Liverpool ain’t spending that kind of money on anyone, and they won’t sell to Arsenal.
Bayern are being conservative, the Arabs at PSG are leaving, Madrid are busy with Mbappe and others.
Italian clubs don’t have that money and probably don’t have that pull either.

So who’s remaining, Barca?

They might do but their motivation will be a lot lower, like it was at the start of this season.
Until Conte came in, Kane wasn’t performing so, if Conte leaves for PSG, at least they won’t be challenging for a top four place again.

1 Like

Hold up, what? This one certainly passed me by. Some other Royal Family/oligarch lined up to buy them already or is the whole charade about to collapse?

1 Like

4 Likes

Warms my heart :relieved:

1 Like

It’ll be mad if these win the FA Cup and then get relegated for being bankrupt schmucks

Interesting lol

UK Gov shouldn’t fold on this

2 Likes

Can’t wait for May 31st.

Implode, you fuckers. Maybe Fulham and Brentford get a boost in ticket sales out of this.

3 Likes

Eww gross we don’t Chelsea scum at Brentford

@Phoebica must be having a breakdown.

2 Likes

What a poetic justice would be if the guy that made Chelsea what they are today, pulls the plug on them. :rofl:

4 Likes

Don’t worry. Chav plastics will morph easily enough.

Please good sir inject this directly into my bloodstream :pleading_face:

1 Like

We should help our fellow Londoners out with a £2mil bid for Reece James

Just trying to be good citizens

3 Likes

Blah blah blah, nothing will happen just the usual melodramatic bullshit the media love to stir up, fuck Chelsea though.

12 Likes

PL will not let it happen. Global product needs protecting etc, etc

4 Likes

Given the government gave football an early restart during the pandemic because it was “good for public morale” I can’t see that they’d ever let the PL brand suffer. There will be a compromise

Money will probably be siphoned off to Roman one way or another

4 Likes