Cesc Fabregas

That’s one of the things he said, that people think Wenger had way more power than he did in reality. Which is something I’ve said a couple of times and been shouted down and called an idiot over. It’s nice to hear someone who was there voice the same opinion.

2 Likes

So we missed out on Carrick and Xabi Alonso for a position that has been pretty much our biggest problem in the last 13 years? Lol.

1 Like

2 Likes

Yea people mad at Cesc. It’s like being mad at your world class relegation player wanting to stay in the PL. We were below his level because of our poverty investments and our poverty players. Angry fans are just selfish and unrealistic.

3 Likes

I can’t be bothered to listen to that podcast but did he claim that Wenger wasn’t the one deciding who joined Arsenal etc?

He stated that Wenger didn’t have as much power as people would like to believe.

1 Like

That is a bit of a hole statement, Did Wenger have the power to decide who joined Arsenal and who didn’t or not? Because that is the claim made by people.

He said he didn’t believe Arsene was given enough money.

It’s not an either or.
Wenger may have had a big say but not the only say in the matter.

We can all imagine situations where players were sold which he didn’t want sold eg: Nasri or players bought which he didn’t want bought eg: Perez

I want to cry when Cesc is tapping up Xabi Alonso and he was desperate for the move and…it didn’t fucking happen.

We are talking about what Cesc said. The claim is being made that Wenger didn’t have the power we think he had.

But it seems he was the one who decided who came in within a certain framework. Or not?

Of course you can’t control the outgoings.

You have to wonder if a manager was forced to sell top players and stopped from buying top players why he’d stay so fucking long.
Answers on a postcard to Cloud Cuckoo land, fantasy Island, Utopia.

1 Like

He was getting paid 6m a year to play footy with his mates

All Cesc said was that signings didn’t happen because Wenger was financially constrained. Something an Arsenal director has said. Not sure why people doubt it so much.

1 Like

He could have done what Kaka did and forced Barcelona to pay market value. Instead he acted like a little shit and forced a move. Then he joined Chelsea. He broke my heart twice. I’ll never really forgive him. He was supposed to destroy the Dark Side not join them!

Also, he allegedly is a Tory so that’s three strikes.

2 Likes

What is within a “certain framework”?

We just don’t know the nuances behind each deal. There must have been players who the club could easily attain but Wenger was not sure of.
And there must have been players who Wenger was sure of but club couldn’t muster the negotiation properly.
Like Xabi Alonso must have been the latter.

All some of us posters were saying over the years that Wenger was held solely responsible for all the transfer failures and it wasn’t the full picture.
“Didn’t meet Wenger’s evaluation” was the line often spouted but are we sure it wasn’t Gazidis’ evaluation or someone else’s? and Wenger’s name wasn’t just added to it because he was more recognisable of a name between them?

Plus, Wenger’s commitment to Arsenal and ability to make lemonade when given lemons made it easy for the higher ups to not be proactive.

The market value thing was kind of Wenger bending over for Barce to accomodate Cesc. If it was Levy it would of been ‘50m or fuck off, I don’t care about the players esteem needs’

1 Like

That isn’t all you were saying lmao, you regularly trotted out various different shades of complete bullshit to defend Wenger from all criticism, whether warranted or unfair.

Talk about rewriting history to make yourself seem perfectly reasonable.

3 Likes

Doesn’t make it any less valid