Cancel Culture and related issues

Some twittertards tried to cancel Noam Chomsky :roll_eyes:

yeah I was starting to type a reply to Jakey on my two pennies on how to get rid of it, that it’s just cancel culture that we need to see out. It got pretty long so I deleted it but yeah pretty much. I think we need to wait it out. I think it came as an over reaction to passivity and insensitivity but like many good movements you get a small group in it that over-do it a bit, we’re there with this thing. It’ll be fine eventually but I don’t think it can be solved by legislation or “from up top”, it needs a cultural change on a people level. I think if you start making laws about it then tl:dr; the capital will just use it to fuck labour over in five new ways as usual.

:pensive:

Would have liked to see it, though this post gives me a flavour of your thoughts I guess :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cancel Culture exists in and in relation to social media and around key issues where the debate is undecided by society, and where one side holds a strong activist base. It’s almost always in relation to race, immigration, identity, and Trans issues. Say something wrong there and there is a high risk of cancelation. Any other topic and you can probably speak as freely as you ever did. It looks bigger than it is because even though, ultimately, the amount of people fired or cancelled is small, it happens to one or two people pretty much daily and so it looks huge.

I also think social media doesn’t really know how to respond to the problem. It itself is under huge pressure to do something about ‘hate speech’ and so has to create it’s own rules and try to operate them fairly, which is going to be really hard to do, especially when so many academic types cheerlead a heavy handed approach.

What to do about it is tricky? I disagree with @oompa about waiting it out, although that might be all we can do, because I feel the trend is for it to get worse, not better. I used to argue that platforms like Twitter etc. had the right to host or not host whatever they like being that they are private. But of course that misses the essence of what they are: public squares. It’s no one’s fault that say Youtube is the one go to place for video content. If you’re not there, you are effectively kicked out of the public square. Imagine if speakers corner was owned by a company and they set the rules, it wouldn’t be in the right spirit. So I think we need to defend anyone, no matter what shit they talk, if they are being cancelled and we need to call out anyone, no matter how much we like them, if they are calling for someone to be banned or fired.

I think on the whole it’s a disgrace that people could lose their jobs because they said something moronic on the internet.

But the rules are a bit different for certain jobs in certain situations which should be looked at on a case by case basis e.g. teachers, carers, healthcare professionals if what they have said could compromise their profession.

1 Like

It’s likely much more widespread than reported

One of my exes teaching assistants lost her job for liking something from Britain First on Facebook IIRC.

So if a London based teacher is on social media saying, “I hate Muslims/P***s/insert epithet here” and people say on twitter that they shouldn’t be allowed to teach multicultural classes because their dislike of a particular group compromises their ability to do their job, we defend the teacher and condemn the person saying they should lose their job?

Your statement just sounds so absolute, when surely there are contexts in which it is appropriate for certain people to lose their certain jobs over things they’ve said?

1 Like

Cancel culture = self-entitled people and companies protecting ‘reputation’ over replacable employees

2 Likes

I would exchange self-entitled to self righteous

The problem with all of these things is what originally starts out as something with a good purpose (like exposing creeps like Harvey Weinstein) suddenly becomes some wider movement where everyone tries to find the next person to cancel for fucking no reason whatsoever.

One of the main reasons I barely use social media these days is because every other post is about ‘exposing’ someone or bringing up comments that person made years ago. Places like Twitter are especially toxic for that (one of the main reasons you’ll never catch me on the app).

A few weeks ago there was a list circulating on Twitter which had the twitter handles of guys who had allegedly sexually assaulted women. But the problem with the list is that it contained names of people who had ‘lied’ to women too. Imagine that? Grouping liars with potential rapists and stuff. One of my friends was on the list, and he was so distraught because he was on the list because he lied to someone. And he had people leaving him messages calling him a rapist and stuff when he’d never done anything of the sort.

The internet is a toxic place. As much as social media gives people a voice to be heard and can be used as a great tool to spread positive messages. It’s equally being abused by people.

The internet used to be used to escape and enjoy some downtime from the real world but now you feel like you need to turn the internet off some times just to get a break from all the toxicity.

10 Likes

I’m glad I made the decision to stop interacting on social media. It’s now a read-only medium for me.

10 Likes

Same here; I just read and wonder if people realise what they’re doing

3 Likes

I literally cannot recognise certain people on social media who I know or work with. Its like they have an alter ego or are borderline schizophrenic at times.

5 Likes

UFC fighter Mike Perry sleeps an old man at a bar.

In this case seems reasonable for his employer to not offer him any work for the near future. Due to the nature of what he does it’s a sticky one to terminate employment. I think they’ll help him seek psychiatric expertise first.

Thing is though he’s famous so it’s always going to be handled differently to silently removing a small cog to protect a big companies PR.

I genuinely think this should always be handled case by case.

That would be overt racism and would break the law, so you would have legitimate grounds to fire that person. Clearer definitions of what hate speech is would be helpful on platforms to avoid how open to subjectivity it is where comments are not breaking the law.

2 Likes

OK, makes sense. As I said, your statement sounded very absolute, “we need to defend anyone, no matter what shit they talk” to me sounded like people shouldn’t be fired or cancelled no matter what they said, which would include my example and similar.

2 Likes

Was he using their protest to wave that sign?
If yes, I would give some leeway.

Nevertheless this is how radically left has become.
I can only imagine the silencing of opposing views in universities.
You see tons of video of mildly opposing views being shut down by chants and mockery. It’s a big issue.

1 Like

Lmao, what a pack of dickheads. Hes probably been fired from his job now.

The frivolous use of the word Nazi is really fucking annoying.

6 Likes