Calum Chambers

I’m very happy to see Chambers able to start and make the huge impact he did after all his injury woes.

On a personal level, chuffed for him. His technical capabilities were on display but our RB options don’t seem like a one size fits all approach, it will depend on the opposition to decide what characteristics are needed. Our most complete fullback is KT - need one for the right side

1 Like

Still on mine. :eyes:

4 Likes

With 1 year left on Chambers contract it’s time for us to either renew or sell.

If he can replicate his performance vs West Ham across the rest of the season, he should at least fetch us a couple of bob.

Renew. Luiz goes.
I think Holding, Chambers, Gabriel, Saliba and Mari is good cover for us at CB.

1 Like

My boy Chambers finally had a chance to play.
Played great of played shit not matters to me, I just think he is good enough to get more playing time, and start ahead of some starters.

3 Likes

Chambers proving he is probably our most versatile defender.
I don’t think he is good enough to start for a top PL team but as cover for most defensive positions, like when he was a Fulham on loan and did well at DM, he is very useful.

That dink for Lacazettes miss was so satisfying.

9 Likes

Fabregas, Bergkamp worthy…

Far from the first time he’s showing great vision. If he was just a bit faster he’d be a top class RB.

1 Like

A reminder that Emery gave him a go at RB(and then CB) out of necessity, and he ended up being our second best player behind Leno until his injury.

Give Chambers the run that Holding and Luiz got at RCB and he’ll be immense.

Chambers and Gabriel building from the back. :drooling_face:

That dink was pure class.

His positioning is also really notable. Arteta wants the RB to play like a right sided midfielder at times and Chambers is really comfortable in that hybrid role. I cannot imagine Bellerin either getting to the ball (he would have drifted too far wide and/or forward) or making that pass if he got there.

Chambers at this stage shouldn’t be regarded as first choice unless he shows consistency. I’ve always been a Chambers fan, just weary of depending on him when his entire career has been stop start.

It’s frustrating, we have been shite this season we may as well have committed to bedding on Saliba and Gabriel the entire season, if it worked thats us sorted for 10 years.

How we have dealt with Saliba is a fucking disgrace

Something I’ve noticed alot with us, our midfielders should be there making them passes but Xhaka and Partey sit so fucking deep under Arteta our midfielders must be the least offensive midfielders in the league, how many goals and assists from open play for Xhaka/el nene/dani/partey in the league? We need more from them

2 Likes

Yep. Bellerin’s sense of positioning and the timing of his runs was horrible even at his peak, but it’s just his immense athleticism was making the difference at that time.

Just imagine Chambers had half of his pace.

1 Like

That dink :heart:
Make him a midfielder ahead of Elneny & Xhaka

1 Like

I don’t know how much Chambers need to prove to get regular playing time.
Not a world beater, not even a star player, but a reliable professional.
Displayed good enough performance in many occasions, just had a bad injury unfortunately.
When he is healthy, supposed and should be ahead of Holding and Bellerin in both RB and RCB positions.

His versatility might save his AFC career. If he can provide cover at both RB and RCB, that could give him the upper hand on Luiz/Holding. We still need to find legitimate starter quality RB and RCB/partner for Gabriel (hopefully Saliba).

We extended Holding and Cedric has 3 years remaining on his contract. Keeping Chambers is just wasting wages. Especially if he’s not a projected starter.

Jesus christ.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes