Calum Chambers

Could we get 15-20m for him? He doesn’t fit here but he can do a decent job for mid table and lower.

We need CBs not DMs. If he was garbage in defence then don’t see a future for him here.

Should hopefully be able to get a decent fee for him. Otherwise he comes in to be the new Elneny for us. Not the worst thing to happen as it won’t cost us anything.

2 Likes

I think I would still prefer Chambers at CB instead of Mustafi :wink:

4 Likes

Il not really sure there’s much difference tbh with you

One is on more wages :slight_smile:

Being Fulham’s player of the season is useful to us only in terms of the exposure.

Sell.

10 Likes

I agree but if we cut some dead weight in Xhaka and Elneny to raise some funds for some transfers, I can see Chambers being a squad option for DM and CB. His versatility could be useful.

Chambers and Xhaka are two totally different players.

Also despite Xhaka’s flaws he is a much better midfielder than Calum Chambers, especially for a team like Arsenal who rely a lot on a defensive midfielder having a fairly expansive passing game.

1 Like

Yet Emery has been playing Xhaka as a DM and Torreira as a B2B.

1 Like

Xhaka’s role is to provide a link between the defence and our attack. He sits deep to build attacks - Chambers is totally incapable of that. So selling Xhaka and having Chambers fill his gap in the squad might well be one of the most ridiculous things we could do.

1 Like

He could be a good backup to Torreira though. Rabiot can take Xhaka’s spot :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we know that. Chambers was bought for his technical qualities, not his defending qualities. He passes out the back very well and I was well impressed with this goal

1 Like

If you’re suggesting that Chambers would be an adequate fit for Xhaka’s role in the squad then I’m going to need some serious convincing.

He’s bang average and has no place in our squad. Has to be moved on - we can easily command £20m for him.

One thing about Chambers is you’d never see him stand motionless while players run past him. Any sort of transitional play Xhaka adds to our team is overshadowed by him being Mustafi levels of a liability when it comes to defense.

I’d sell both and buy someone better but I’d honestly prefer to see Chambers in a squad position next season than Xhaka in the first eleven.

2 Likes

Don’t think Chambers would be willing to accept a squad role now, we’ve probably exhausted that option.

He’s needing first team action he wont get it at Arsenal’s level, or if he does, then we’ve regressed quite some way.

1 Like

What we really need to go is get rid of Moose, Chambers, and Xhaka for 55-60 total… add in El Neny and we should be able to get 60-65 total to add to our 45-65 (depending on CL and if you believe stories)… this would be close to 120 to spend, lots of wages to work with, and that doesn’t even include Iwobi or Ozil or MIcki, who should probably also go but won’t (neither will Xhaka sadly).

Get Tielemans, Umtiti, and Fraser - that seems doable with that budget and we would have wages to work with as well… bring back ESR and Nelson to give us more options if we need on wing (I think ESR can also play ACM probably)…

That wouldn’t be the worst summer ever and would put us in decent shape going forward… we’d still have plenty more work to do and we’d be relying more on Kola than we should, but our CB would be improved and Bellerin has that locked up and we can probably get by with AMN as back-up there for now.

Everybody wants to see Mustafi and Xhaka go but there is a genuine possiblity at least one of them will remain Arsenal player.

Xhaka in particular isn’t going anywhere.

It would be amazing to shift him but he’s easily going to be here for two more seasons.

3 Likes

I would say there is a genuine certainty, which is sad.

:santi: