Calum Chambers

Should be Chambers and Mawson playing together.

Ream is fucking awful and when I watch them seems to be the most culpable for defensive errors. With that said it’s doubtful Chambers had a long term future here, we definitely need to invest in a CB soon.

With the signing of Sokratis, Kosciely and Mustafi still at the club the short-term future of Chambers didn’t lie with Arsenal anyway. Xhaka and Chambers are probably the only two extensions of last summer I don’t really get. Although it appears Emery has a lot more confidence in Xhaka than we do anway.

1 Like

He’s been playing DM for Fulham and doing quite well from reading the comments below by the Fulham fans

1 Like

Actually everyone we loaned out did not get good performance.

Nice interview with Calum here

“You want to impress so you feel you have to do something in the game to get your chance to play again. The Hollywood passes. Now I know, if I got chucked in at centre-half, I wouldn’t do that. If I get through a game as a centre-half and I’m not mentioned once, but we have a clean sheet, then I’ve done my job.”

A whole game? I’m just pleased when we get through 5 minutes of a game without hearing Mustafi’s name :laughing:

On Chambers though, I don’t think he’ll ever be top class but he could be useful for a year or two while we build a better team.

He’s had a decent season, well as decent as it can be when you play for a dross team like Fulham

1 Like

Fuck it, it may have been character building for him to play for a team that gets relegated.

I’d rather him than mustafi

3 Likes

His stock is probably pretty good once the season is over and we signed him up before he went out on loan so we should recoup quite a sum for him. We only spent £15M iirc, we can definitely turn a profit on him.

How much better than Mustafi is he? If we honestly have a chance to sign Umtiti in the summer then we have to take it.

Just reads like the Wilshire at Bournemouth season. People need to get past the Mustafi thing. He will likely go. Chambers is not the answer or part answer.

6 Likes

Chambers is shit and has to be sold in the summer.

3 Likes

Ah many people are going to be disappointed this summer when we don’t sell and replace 17 players

5 Likes

One having been bombed out by the new manager is likely to be high up on the list though.

He is decent enough and for a young, versatile defender, who has plenty of PL experience, we should get a good transfer fee for him.
We already have the numbers, with players like Holding, Mav, and Monreal it’s just the quality we are lacking.
Emery will be looking to get a top quality CB to partner, probably Sokratis, in the transfer window and Chambers will be surplus to requirements.

It’s defenders like this that just prove Wenger’s complete lack of investment and negligence when it came to our defence.
When Wenger bought him, Chambers was a record signing for us for a defender and so was Mustafi, and apart from Kos and possibly Verms, his record of buying CB’s, since we’ve been at the Emirates was underwhelming.

So it’s no wonder that Emery will want to get his own defenders in, and not use the Championship level ones that Wenger accumulated.

1 Like

Gallas, Kos, Mertesacker and for a season or so Vermaelen are the only good CBs that we’ve signed during the Emirates era. The jury is out on Sokratis and Holding seems to have a reasonable ceiling.

2 Likes

I agree that Gallas and Mertesacker were decent CB’s but neither seemed to be planned, or had been targeted specifically by Wenger, but were more opportunistic signings, which Wenger was well known for.

Gallas was never a transfer target and was only signed because we sold Cole to Chelsea, who was arguably the best LB in Europe then, and the Chelsea CB was part of a swap deal.

Mertesacker was ok but was a panic buy in the chaotic window where we sold two of our best players, Cesc and Nasri, and then proceeded to wait until last few hours to bring in a few players, and Mertesacker was one of them.

But, like you say, Holding and Sokratis might be useful for us.

Mertesacker was more than ok. He was a very good purchase and was only really let down by Wenger’s insistence on not protecting his defence. A proper midfield and system would have gotten so much more out of the Kos-Per partnership.

I actually rate Kos-Per as the best partnership we had since Sol-Kolo. I’d have said Gallas-Kolo but I think Toure was already on the wane by the time we sold him.

8 Likes

We went after Cahill and Mertesacker all summer. We offered 8-10m for Cahill, they wanted 18m, so we went for Mertesacker for 6m.

This shows Wenger’s complete lack of planning.
If we had been after Mertesacker for the whole of the transfer window, why wait until right at the end of it to buy what you need?
I’m not sure we’d have even bought him if it weren’t for the most embarrassing result we’ve had, losing 8-2 to Man U.

We wanted Cahill over Mertesacker. Rumours were we needed the CL money, which we hadn’t yet qualified for IIRC

1 Like

Comments from Fulham fans praising him to high heaven.

6 Likes

Well, he is a pretty decent defender, not like shit as some think.