Brexit

So essentially a solid base of millions of remain voters vs fractured bloc of leavers who may still want to leave but doesn’t want May’s deal?

How is that fair or democratic?

A second vote causes more problems than it solves unless you’re a hardcore remainer

Well at least after its enacted. I could understand going back to the people for consent if it was a government deal versus no deal, but if remain is on the ballot then it’s not democratic. Remain clearly lost. It’s obvious that the People’s Vote is an attempt to rig a Remain.

They definitely do.

Absolutely. Would destroy all credibility in our politicians and parliament.

It’d restore my faith in them. They’d be putting the country first.

Says who? The side that lost. :slight_smile:

Says Jules, the man offering his opinion.

1 Like

Everyone has an opinion which is why we have democracy. :slight_smile:

(And I know he was offering his opinion, I was responding with my glib one). :slight_smile:

You do love a passive aggressive, slightly snidey smiley don’t you? :slightly_smiling_face:

I just thought it meant a sort of friendly sarcasm.

I was half joking, I never turn down the opportunity to try and be amusing with a bit of a dig/joke, not that it always hits the mark lol

FWIW I didn’t feel that those uses were particularly sarcastic, I thought the things you were saying were genuine rather than sarcastic.

We’re all going to lose mate.

Wait Sturgeon wanted an Independence vote because we were leaving the EU. Therefore she’ll be happy to stay once that vote gets reversed. Makes sense anyway.

1 Like

No it doesn’t make sense, at all.

She wants independence no matter what. It just so happens that us leaving the EU with an appalling deal when Scotland voted to remain is legitimate grounds for them to have another independence vote.

Ironically Indy voters are also more likely to be Brexiteers. So everyone gets something of what they want in Scotland. Sort of

Not even in a snarky way, I’d be interested to see some evidence for that.

Honestly I can’t find anything and I’d be interested to see myself. I’ve seen reports showing Indy voters saying they wanted Brexit and didn’t like immigration etc.

If you think about it in terms of economics Remain and The Union make the most sense. And in terms of harking back to days past Independence and Brexit are natural bed partners.

But yea no hard numbers I can find right now.

1 Like

Well not all, but about 1/3.

I can’t find the links but there is a reason that while the Yes side has gained a huge influx of pro-EU voters since 2016, (who voted No in 2014 due to EU related scare-mongering) the poll numbers for independence are the same.

There were many Yes leavers that have no love for the EU, that maybe voted yes in 2014 because they have no problems leaving the EU.

It’s the main explanation for the poll numbers so far. That and that we’re all hoping for a last minute miracle cancelling of brexit.

EDIT: here you go:

Some info on the different groups now polling for No.

I actually partly did my undergraduate dissertation on Scottish Indy voters who were eurosceptic (only very partly!). I’d have to look at the voting during the referendum but I believe there was a significant minority of voters around the fishing ports in Scotland and generally some of the older SNP voters who backed brexit. Not sure they would now though and it doesn’t change the fact that Scotland is overwhelming pro -EU. Whether that trumps remaining as part of the UK I don’t know, but I wouldn’t feel confident if it was put to a ballot soon after Brexit.

1 Like

1 Like

I need to read it Calum but is that for existing EU citizens or ones after 2019? I guess at some point existing EU members will need to apply for some form of settlers status, which will screw over so many :persevere:

1 Like