Brexit

We’re approaching the Tipping Point.

2 Likes

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to ponder that maybe everything is currently going according to Mrs May’s plan. First, she fills all the “Brexity” positions in her cabinet with leavers to make it look like she’s leaving it to them, but then appears to not want to allow them to actually get anywhere near the true negotiations. She appoints a foreign secretary that nobody can take seriously. Maybe this wasn’t the original endgame and maybe she started with grander ideas about what she could get from these negotiations, but now she’s in the position she is, maybe she wants this to fail in its current state.

Right now I believe the appetite for a hard Brexit is pretty low and the Irish border problem is being made into the key issue and while I personally believe it very much is the key issue, I would doubt that your average Brexit voting Englishman genuinely cared a great deal about it.

What it is (in my view at least) is the most credible issue to spread the message that a true hard leave is an impossibility, therefore if the narrative can switch in the coming months to “Remain vs BAD DEAL” rather than “BAD DEAL vs no deal”, after months of hearing about this “worst of all worlds” deal I think it may be possible to swing enough of the public into believing that Remain would actually be a great deal that they could risk putting it to another vote.

Even if the EU would be willing to do some kind of deal to avoid a hard border in the case of an actual no deal, saying that they won’t do it at the moment could be enough to scare people away from a hard Brexit.

1 Like

:joy:

Polling is so abused by the press

I don’t think May is genuine about much but I think she genuinely tried to implement the result and limit the damage. The problem for her is the backwardness of leading Brexiteers and her desire to limit immigration over everything else (including key issues for Brexiteers such as the role of the ECJ)

1 Like

Confirmation bias. We only see what we want to.

I’m not sure how you can abuse polling when the results are right there and all of the terms of reference and research methods are fully auditable. The scientific method is of course to not take any one poll as a definitive answer but as a sample of a sample to see if there are an indicative trends. There have been a few of these surveys are they’re all showing the same swing. The Manchester Evening News one was extensive, covering every borough and all different cultural and socio-economic groups. Remain came out 65/35 in favour.

Notable is that bookies now have a 2nd referendum as favourite.

I’ve made up a Bingo Card for inane, cliched phrases used by hardline Brexiteers when confronted with information that upsets their confirmation bias. I’m ready and waiting…

1 Like

Huh, that sample size is perfectly fine from a mathematical point of view.

This is exactly how you can abuse polling by treating suggestive outcomes, mainly based on perception and initial reactions, as definitive.

The independent declares ‘voters want a new referendum’ based on a polling with a limited sample size and conducted short space of time in reaction to a almost universally disliked deal by both Brexiters and Remainers.

You say we’re approaching the ‘tipping point’ based on this information. The only confirmation bias going on here is from yourself and the Independent who’ll only promote information, no matter how thin, to support your view.

:smile:

7 Likes

I would rather they encourage young British players to move abroad, if they find places hard to come by in the PL.

The good old “kick and run” is back :hipster:

Good to see we are getting the thoughts of such a prominent UK figure

1 Like

I’d rather hear his thoughts that those other four cretins

8 Likes

You don’t know anything about politics and are just dumbing down on a serious subject…said Mr Blobby to the women on this programme.

5 Likes

Wait, that isn’t a photoshop?

May’s joke of a deal will get vote down; it leaves all Britain’s power to the EU.

The referendum was about leave or remain. Those who wanted to leave have now got too get on with what you endorsed.
Remain voters have been told for 2 years to accept the democratic result. Therefore kindly endorse your democratic decision please. Anything else is just a cop out on your constitutional wish or admit you fucked up.

What power?

Haha :unamused:; if the whole idea is to separate from the eu, why leave an indeterminate amount of time because of the backstop. Not only that it has to be negotiated if the terms have been met.

Nobody hands in their notice then allows the employer to decide when you are done.

Because no deal would be a catastrophe?