Brentford - Arsenal (CC) 0-1

With a fully fit squad, I think we win most games tbh. One positive, is that we’re still unbeaten in all competitions; 7 games in a row so far.

Unfortunately, so has our main competitors.

Winning breeds confidence, so let’s aim to win.

I would be happy with a top 3 finish, 1-2 domestic cups and and semi-final UCL as things currently stand.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. I’m mostly in the ‘fuck the carabao cup’-camp, but it doesn’t really feel like an advantage to be out of it most of the time.

1 Like

I want us to progress as going out hasn’t helped us.

But winning this competition won’t make it a good season for me.

I’d rather the excitement of a run to the last 4 of the CL for eg over a domestic cup.

Nah, fuck that. Win a cup if we ain’t gonna win the league.

3 Likes

I’d like us to go for this

3 Likes

Same. I want as much games as possible from us this season, we have the squad for it now.

No excuses.

2 Likes

let the patchwork that is ESR start on the left. get 90 mins, fucker barely plays football nowadays. Brentford haven’t won a game in a month, letting half of the bench from last game start should suffice. Get Ödegård and Jesus on in the 65th if we’re still not ahead by a goal or two.

Speaking for myself I can’t say the Quarter/Semi-final runs during the early Emirates era made me feel any good. If anything losing them just wound me up even more when we ended up with nothing.

However cups, always put a smile on my face.

2 Likes

Fucking hate this cup and taking it seriously gives relevance to Tottenham as it’s their only silverware this century.

I want to see Arteta do what Wenger used to do and prepare a team of back-ups to give them a chance to shine against strong opposition in a hostile environment. Have a few big players on the bench in case we need to up our game towards the end.

So, Ramsdale, Tommy, Gabriel, Kiwior, Jorginho, Nwaneri, Nelson, ESR, Vieira, Havertz.
Subs Raya, Saliba, Walters, Rice, Lewis-Skelly, Jesus, Sagoe

Yep, no one remembers a beaten semi finalist

In fact, I’d much rather we drop out of the CL altogether at the group stage if it means we win the europa league

I’d take semi finalist in the CL over a league cup win, but not over an FA Cup. Not all domestic cups are equal, imo, but I’ve never given a shit about the league cup, and I know many don’t agree there.

If we won the league cup in February I’d have near forgotten about it entirely by May when the season concludes. No bragging rights there imo, and not a competition that defines success/failire for me.

2 Likes

Each to their own I would.

However for a chance in the final…my tune would change. But a semi-final? Been there done that. For the best as that United game was fucked :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Right now, in 2023, I’d interpret a semi final CL appearance as a serious sign that we are back at the top table and once again a serious competitor. A league cup would mean next to nothing to me in terms of where we are at.

Not to say I wouldn’t welcome seeing us win it for the first time (I don’t remember us winning it in the early 90s), I just think winning it says very little about our level, and right now I’m preoccupied by us demonstrating that we are a serious team again.

3 Likes

We could also decline tbf. See: Liverpool in the EL.

1 Like

Oh, of course, a single CL semi appearance is no guarantee of long term success. But I would see it as being more indicative of serious progress than I would a league cup win.

3 Likes

Think it also depends on the strength of the competition & having the luck of the draw. The quality of opposition in the UCL is weaker than it used to be.

I’d take a UCL semi-final over the league cup, but I wouldn’t be mad if we won the Europa & League Cup and finished 4th this season. At least we’d win 2 trophies… two we haven’t won in forever…

Should send our bench players out to play.
We need to rest our starting 11 anyway, and some of them are even injured.
Won’t be full strength anyway, so I won’t even risk the healthy starters.

Makes sense that, Ron. Pretty heavily loaded season, potentially. Squad management of prime importance.

1 Like

I’d be very mad about getting knocked out in the group stages, particularly given the group we have, but I’d imagine I’d be over it by the time of this hypothetical EL win.

4th place feels kinda shitty after finishing 2nd last season, not gonna lie. Guess I could be persuaded though…

too early to worry about this?

we know PSV won’t be a threat… and do we need to worry about Lens?
Seville could get us some troubles, but getting knock out by PSV and Lens… come on