Boxing

44 and outweighed by 30lbs and he could have cleaned him in one round.

2 Likes

I always wonder why the WWE is/was so popular. But then you see stuff like this. We as people just like spectacle rather than sport.

2 Likes

Money doing what he does best :wenger2:

Making these old fuck promoters look stupid and getting paid.

1 Like

If you’re famous these kids will follow everything you do. These YouTubers make music, write books, act etc etc etc.

Just read Kirkland Laing died. One of the most forgotten but remarkable fights by a British fight was his win over Roberto Duran.
Crazy guy Laing outside the ring but a very good fighter nevertheless. Sad loss.

2 Likes

I did a lot of reading in Laing a good few years back and watching him fight, he had potential to be a superstar but his priorities were all wrong. Amazing fighter for sure.

Shame, I think if I remember well he ended up being broke and a shell of his former shelf. I really wish a lot of these guys who earned good money in the 80s and 90s had better guidance and learned to put some of it away.

Reminds me of the time John Terry told the story about how he bought a car with his signing on fee for his Chelsea contract and next day Dennis Wise made him take it back and put that money into his first house instead. It’s invaluable to have someone of that experience just giving you a push in the right direction.

People like Laing never had that and they end up squandering a fortune in no time whatsoever.

2 Likes

RIP, sad to hear

I remember hearing a promoter talking about Laing and saying after the Duran fight they were trying to contact him for other big fights but he was busy partying in Jamaica and couldn’t be contacted.

My eldest daughter’s mothers surname is Laing with a Jamaican father, I wonder if they’re anyway related.

2 Likes

Wtf is going on. It seems like everybody is making good money with boxing except the current boxers themselves. Apart from a Canelo or Joshua and Fury.

1 Like
1 Like

Inoue is a different beast lol

Those liver punches would of been sheer agony

1 Like

The way he digs into those body shots is nasty.

2 Likes

Sir Henry Cooper once said he’d have fought Muhammad Ali whenever, wherever. When it came to Sonny Liston, he’d never get in the ring with him. He was strong, intimidating and ultimately frightening.

1 Like

This is true. I don’t agree with him, but Emanuel Steward, said Liston might have beaten Ali prime for prime.

Historians consider that Liston lied about his age and stopped living the boxing life once he won the title.

I think Ali always had too much foot speed and hand speed for Sonny though.

Ultimately a sad story. Either overdosing on Heroin or being wacked by the MOB

2 Likes

Do you not think that the rematch could have been closer had it not been for the “fix”? The mafia/Ali’s Nation of islam threatening Liston, etc

(Although some boxing historians are convinced an awkward, weak punch like that can still knock someone out, as strange as it looks)

I don’t buy a fix or Nation of islam conspiracy. What happened was Liston went down. Ali stood over him. Legally the count can’t start until the fighter steps away from the knocked down fighter and goes to the neautral corner, that’s the rules.

So Liston got up within the time aloud after Ali went to the neutral corner. Then a bytander told the referee, ex champion Jersey Joe Walcott, that Liston was down for 10 seconds. So the fight was wrongly stopped. It should have continued

Liston’s knock down was unusual and he may have threw the fight anyway but there isn’t anyway to know what would have happened if the right decisions were made

1 Like

Del boy and hayemaker part ways

1 Like

The Tyson Fury circus continues lol

1 Like