Bolton saved / Bury chucked out The Football League

With all the money being thrown about in the premiership it’s about time some of the money was put back into the lower leagues .
The over inflated transfers and agents taking a huge percentage then surely their should be a clause that a percentage of money goes into fund to help lower league clubs .
Very sad for the Bury community .

1 Like

Do you know what I’m not liking in this? The way people are using this to criticise fans of the top 6 (like the below). Sure, some fans are glory hunters, but a lot of us aren’t. And anyway why do we keep getting brought into it?

Just because we support a big club, it doesn’t mean we don’t care. It must be absolutely horrible to have such a big part of your life taken away like that.

1 Like

2 Likes

I understand their reasoning but your right. Sad thing is local people when their younger won’t support local teams the way they once did.
Kids adopt the glamour clubs because they can watch them every week on TV or streaming and in some cases actively follow them.
Not committing a crime by doing this but it impacts on them I suppose.
It’s an interesting dilemma because Bolton only managed a 5000 gate on Saturday. Not judging the fans as it could be a protest against the situation but some will see it as a reason to question the level of interest. Hopefully not people who may be prospective owners.
Bottom line and wider discussion is do we have a sustainable set up now with four divisions.

England is the only nation with four (semi-)professional divisions anyway. Honestly always felt like that wasn’t really sustainable.

But I understand with Bury there is actually more going on?

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure it really is anymore myself.
Think we will end up with 32 or so clubs down the line in two divisions.

Championship has 22 clubs, League One and Two 24 each. I don’t see how that many (professional) clubs have the actual right to exist tbh. I’m sure everyone also has local amateur clubs too?

1 Like

Yeah there are way too many clubs out there for each of them to have a big enough fanbase

Not sure how they figure these things out, is it just a pure headcount and if so does having 4/6 more home games each than other leagues account for the third tier of English football being the ninth best attended UEFA affiliated league but either way it’s always been the case that no country is quite like England when it comes to football attendance.

Whether this equates to a right to exist or not is probably another matter but on the face of it I’m not sure what effect reducing the league sizes would have. Certainly doesn’t strike me as something positive in any case.

League One – which was won by Sheffield United last term – is ranked ninth in attendance in Uefa’s Club Licensing Benchmarking Report;

I think Scotland has some per capita claim but that’s really 5 or 6 clubs skewing the numbers.

2 Likes

Smacks of a sky stunt that. A nothing story but plenty of hits for the Twitter account.

1 Like

Why did they wait till they were chucked out? Horrible pricks waiting when they could have bought them and saved everyone connected to Bury this horrible heartache

1 Like

Who says they waited?

4 Likes

Also, this: hopefully something in it

2 Likes

So they just have the money the day after they’re chucked out :thinking:

All you know is the content of that tweet. They could have been in discussions about it for months.