Black Lives Matter Movement

Really hope it’s different this time around. Social media is such a powerful tool now that it could lift the battle for equality into heights that it’s never reached before. I can’t recall such a powerful and unified global reaction to a racial incident.

Things don’t usually change with quiet protest. It would take maybe another hundred years of peaceful protesting to achieve what is right. It takes extreme measures to shock people / governments into change.

Real change won’t happen overnight and how that change manifests is unknown, but this sort of inhumane shit has to stop. It just has to.

1 Like

I thought the same thing about Sandy Hook.

The way US society and Government is only conducive to slow change over years, that’s a sad reality. That’s isn’t an excuse to stop the fight and constantly highlight the injustice imo

2 Likes

Nah that’s just virtue signalling apparently.

In some cases it is, we know lots people attach themselves to causes for selfish reasons.

Generally, I think any activism without real sacrifice is just superficial.

3 Likes

I don’t have any social media at all (bar this forum!) anymore so some of these phenomena do pass me by but this seems to be much more than a passing hash tag.

America has had too many watershed moments before when it comes to race - Emmett Till, James Charney Andrew Goodman and Michael Shwerner, Los Angeles, the list goes on and on. And while change does come it tends to happen slowly and reluctantly even with more progressive politicians at the helm rather than Trump and his cronies.

I hope this is different, and that some kind of change appears quicker than it has in the past though.

I sincerely hope you’re right.

But sadly I think we’ll just get a repeat of the Eric Garner case. Once the perpetrator gets convicted, it’ll all die down and people will forget about the larger fight and go on with their lives.

Out of interest, what do you think constitutes a “real sacrifice”?

I know you’re asking him, but for me, money for a start. Donating or fundraising for the causes you’re publicising, putting your money where your mouth is, would be a great start.

Anything tangible and not likes or views or whatever

3 Likes

Opinions from others are also welcome too of course :+1:

1 Like

Here’s some virtue signalling we can all agree on, I’m sure :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Crazy. No matter how fucked up things get there it’s pretty impossible to see any real change happening any time soon, difficult enough to see Trump lose in November

Not sure what to read into that tbh. It could just be people want this crisis to be over ASAP rather than necessarily supporting the way this is being handled.

Just sit this one out yeah, John

2 Likes

He turned his comments off :joy::joy:

1 Like

Shocking

Even mainstream media aren’t faring much better

:clap:

3 Likes

Trumps America

Wouldn’t that sort of thing be classed as a war crime in a warzone?

4 Likes

This was a great speach by James Corden