Black Lives Matter Movement

I think if done once, with out it being tied to any political movement with everyone together after an incident it can be very powerful and sends out a strong message of solidarity and support, however doing it every game has devalued the gesture in my opinion.

2 Likes

No, you are talking about that. I was talking about highlighting the issue (as you can see if you read my post). Advancing into your stand, how can people reasonably expect this manifestation to make a change after just 1 year?

1 Like

I can see where you are coming from, there is a bit of a feeling of diminishing returns. I think any gesture like this will feel less effective when done over such a sustained period, it kinda becomes part of the matchday routine and doesn’t have as much impact as it initially did. I’ve said it myself, as someone who is supportive of BLM (as a movement if not an organisation) and kneeling, but you wonder when players would stop doing it, as I don’t think anyone really thought that this is something we’d do forever, or until racism was solved (so, forever). Its always felt to me like it would inevitably stop at some point.

3 Likes

Haha I was thinking the same thing, like when will they stop doing it. To me it makes Zaha all the more braver, I can imagine that for most white players it’s not an issue and they will go on doing it for however long it takes, but a high profile black player coming out and saying he won’t do it anymore, means that it can be phased out with out anyone being disrespectful about it kind of thing. Not going to lie though personally it does make you feel good inside when you see everyone kneel together and come together over an issue. Like everyone said before it’s not going to solve racism, (if that is even possible) but to see everyone do the gesture together feels good man.

1 Like

year on the only thing there is to show for it is players getting frustrated in doing it. Like said no one can point to one tangible thing that’s being done. It doesn’t take a year to say “we are investing in this or that” “we expecting this or that result in the next xyz years”. I’m not expecting some major changes off the bat but there are no short term changes nor are there long term changes in the works. Just more kneeling and showing how we hate racism and down with the blacks and the browns

1 Like

Who is the spokesperson for the kneeling movement?

There doesn’t seem as if there was a plan for anything after taking the knee. The Premier League made it clear that this was a player-led initiative.

So maybe a general lack of leadership on the players part, as they needed to find a way to talk with those who have power, for example The FA.

Thankfully Rashford has found his voice albeit on issues that predominantly more agreeable to general public.

2 Likes

It’s probably because in my 35 years I’ve seen this happen time after time where big movements happen and everyone shows they solidarity. But in the end nothing ever changes time after time I look around my community and nothing changes. Most of you would not understand the frustration but this is just following the same pattern as all the other movements before. Racism is never going to die no matter how much we fight it.

2 Likes

I agree and I think it’s because in the UK we have class problems and not just racial issues, our community is riddled with broken families, drugs, violence and gun culture. Especially the Caribbean community. Even all our music promotes this kind of stuff. Bounty killer, super cat, Buju, Sizzla, Capleton, Munga, Jah Vinci, Beenie man, Ninja man, Kartel, Movado, Spragga, even the proper old school man like General Levy and Barrington and Beres Hammond. People think reggae music is all chill :joy::rofl: that’s like the biggest 4 generations of music artists from the 80s until recent times. But that’s what we grew up on and that’s just one facet.

7 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

At the end of the day, the poet apparently chose this specific translator to handle her work. If she felt that this particular person was able to do justice to her work then surely thats got to be good enough?!

5 Likes

I’m sure that Deul person would probably just respond with “something something Amanda’s internalised racism”

2 Likes

Not for these nut jobs who have to make everything about race and sex. Like who the fuck even cares about who translated it as long it’s done accurately and properly?

These types of people thrive on these kinds of racial tensions, they perpetuate it because it keeps them in a job and they can leech of the communities they supposedly represent.

5 Likes

The poets work is about inclusion not exclusion. It’s reactions like this that’s the missed opportunity.

6 Likes

Seriously these people do more damage to they own cause with this rubbish

3 Likes

It’s funny the people who advocate this divisiveness complain it’s being divisive.

Intersectionality isn’t about being inclusive, it’s about separating people in to they many parts; thus a white woman writing translating black words is disempowering and taking opportunities from a black person.

1 Like

Those ‘outraged’ (lol) fail to see that demanding a black translator is racist. Surely we don’t want to go down a road of a racial hiring policy.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what they want haha

3 Likes

And another bites the dust

1 Like

He should take them to court. That’s definitely breaking EU employment law

3 Likes

If only to reveal who made the stupid decision.

4 Likes