Black Lives Matter Movement

:100: and that’s exactly what I was trying to say, BLM doesn’t really address these types of issues, they get hijacked by these radical losers who are just trying to get famous of the back of it paint everyone outside of it a racist even if their not their now “subconsciously racist” and cause further divisions amongst the poor. I’m not one for conspiracies but sometimes I think the powers that be must secretly be supporting these causes because it distracts everyone from the real issues and just causes more division.

I watched a debate the other day and it had Stephen Lawrences brother on, (massive respect to him, because what he went through is unimaginable) but he was going on about how we should have quotas in school, so black kids could see black teachers and head masters etc… so they could aspire to be teachers. I couldn’t help but laugh. Like black people aren’t children, we all know we can be teachers if want but that doesn’t help the kids who goes home and has to avoid gangs terrorising their neighbourhood. I’m only referencing the black ethnic neighbourhoods because this is a BLM thread, but what I’ve described and you have said effects all of the communities white/Turkish/Kurdish/Bangoli/Pakistani etc… because like you said the real issues are not race, we have laws which don’t discriminate against any ethnic group it’s one of poverty and class!

3 Likes

I work in a predominantly Bengali part of London and most of the teachers in the area are white. So yes, it’s class. And the important thing to note here is that it takes a lot of time for people to break from their class origins. On the whole black communities have been here in the UK for about 70 years and Bengali communities for about 30 years. It’s not very long. I’m from a white working class background and I’m the first person in my family to ever go to university and my family have probably been here in these islands for a thousand years or longer. Most white working class families will not break from their class status despite how long they have been here. You could make a case that ethnic minorities do really well considering the time spent in the UK. And of course they do because there are no laws preventing class mobility and we live in a time that has never been fairer.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Working class white males do worse in schools than any other demography so it’s no surprise there. I think that “white privilege” is not as good as we thought :man_shrugging:t5:

5 Likes

A post on another forum that I read that I thought was quite interesting (although I don’t agree with the bottom paragraph)

Any white person who has not had a privileged start in life must get really pissed off when some wokie says, “check your white privilege”.
There are all sorts of privilege, height, first born, socio economic, attractiveness, only child, country of birth.
The narrative is that being white is some sort of original sin for which we must atone.
Same with being male. It’s far more complicated than that.
Racism is not cured but UK has made loads of progress over recent decades. Calling out people for being white is divisive. Doesn’t help the situation at all.
I feel that most people who call out white privilege tend to be middle class white women.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cancel Culture and related issues

https://youtu.be/VWrfjUzYvPo If you have 2 hours to spare on of my favorite black thinker on slavery

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty good haha

It’s a very good video if you we act like nuance isn’t a thing.

It picks up on the small things people ignore because their think they are saying and doing what is right things.

I can’t make sense of your sentence.

Updated

r/ENLIGHTENEDCENTRISM

Haha I don’t know why but I tend to find these overtly orthodox guys funny.

The guy on yellow customized bike calling him a dumbass :joy:

Nice to see that students have taken the time to start a petition remove a statue of Gladstone because of his links with the slave trade.

I hope it doesn’t stop there.
I want to see all the great landmarks, that have names associated with the slave trade, changed.
They can start with Victoria Station, Victoria Park, The Victoria and Albert Museum, The Victoria Line etc, anything associated with the royal family like bank notes, coins stamps, etc.

Then they could change the names of the continents of Europe, America and Africa who have a history of owning and selling slaves.

I congratulate them because it should be the main priority of politicians from all sides to listen and take notice of these overworked, under privileged students who clearly know their history and want it wiped out as soon as possible.

8 Likes

I’ve moved your post here along with the majority of the rest of the statue chat this place has seen so we can keep it out of the General News Thread.

1 Like

It’s kind of the point we need a statue cancel thread for the sake of not dilluting this one.

Ship sailed on that one I feel, large part of this thread is people talking bollocks about fucking statues.

But by all means, do go ahead and create a thread about statues, I’d be more than happy to keep that chat seperate from the wider issue of BLM and civil rights. Not least because I personally find it to be incredibly boring at this stage.