Bernd Leno

Underrated/overrated are even more abused terms than legend these days

2 Likes

I donā€™t think heā€™s underrated. Underappreciated, maybe? Heā€™s going under the radar, which is exactly how I like it. More exposure to his good displays, the more big headed a player can potentially get.

I think Leno and Schmeichel are the two most underappreciated 'keepers in the league. Iā€™d argue that theyā€™re both better than the likes of Alyson and Lloris

3 Likes

Beernd Leno
The magic that you do
Will take us to Baku
Double-save voodoo

1 Like

Heā€™s basically the greatest ever goalkeeper to strap the mits on in English football league history.

7 Likes

Was it because he could not claim the starting spot and not trusted by Emery, so he did not have enough confidence at that moment? Sometimes confidence takes a vital role for a player.

I actually feel that Leno was most underappreciated when he first stepped in. People forget how horrendous that shakey period with Cech trying to come out from the back was. Leno came in and imposed a little order with his solid passing and took the spotlight off poor Cech. Sure he had a few rough moments himself but I blame the defense as a whole for a lot of that.

Heā€™s full beast mode at the moment though and easily top 3 performing goalies in the league. Hopefilly it can continue.

8 Likes

Theres been nothing wrong with Leno from the off. People were too quick to judge as per and now are looking silly.

10 Likes

Settling into anything takes time - at varying paces, too. This is especially so for people from a different country, different language, etc. Sure football is football anywhere, but ā€˜settlingā€™ is more than that.

I donā€™t think anyone looks silly. Him being alright this season doesnā€™t change the fact that he was poor for Leverkusen, which, when we signed him, is all we had to judge him on.

Weā€™re all obviously glad that he hasnā€™t replicated his performances from last season.

1 Like

Not to mention when he arrived here he looked uncertain and error prone so people were right to have their reservations.

People were saying its a dud signing and all sorts after like a few games lol. Didnā€™t even give the guy a chance to settle.

10 Likes

@SRCJJ heā€™s sending for you fam.

OA Moderators: Civil War, coming soon to a forum near you.

9 Likes

Sounds better than that Marvel tripe.

1 Like

Donā€™t pretend you watch Bundesliga week in week out :raised_hand:

3 Likes

19m for this BEAST of a goalkeeper. His pure skill and reflexes are second to none. Most of his ā€œmistakesā€ was based on him fumbling a bit too much on crosses and stuff. Thats mainly a psychological problem and he seems much more calm these days.

HUGE upgrade on Cech and for only 19m it is what you call a good old bargain ! ALL HAIL BERND !

4 Likes

If Leno is just being alright this season, then he made De Gea a so-and-so keeper.

Yes, he was kind of shaky at the beginning, but now is one of our best.
He earned us points more than he cost, if he really did.

I donā€™t recall saying I watched it week in week out :thinking: I watched enough though. Itā€™s easily accessible as itā€™s on BT Sport. And I follow European football via highlights, articles and podcasts etc too. There was quite a wide consensus on him being poor on a regular basis during his last 18 months at Leverkusen. I havenā€™t made that up.

2 Likes

Yup, I read many a post saying this. Particularly on r/Soccer. People saw Leverkusen getting the better deal with Hradecky too.

Well Iā€™m glad Mislinstat saw otherwise. Top signing.

1 Like

Assuming MM is related to Leno somehow, only way to explain the incredibly high levels of uncharacteristic sass haha

6 Likes