Benjamin White (4)

Mitoma has rinsed every single right back he faced this season.

It’s also important to understand when that “rinsing” occurred. White was dealing with him and Enciso fairly well until the goal.
After the the whole tram lost their composure and we were more desperate which in turn opened us up.

I hate nitpicking tactics and especially with the luxury of hindsight but I do wonder how bad our defensive collapse would have looked had we got White in beside Gabriel the minute Saliba went down.

Especially had Tomiyasu stayed fit. We have too many fucking sick notes in our defensive lineup right now, Tomiyasu, Zinchenko, Tierney you just can’t count on any of them to get a consistent run. And god forbid Saliba joins that list.

4 Likes

Has White even played CB this season? Judging from wording Arteta has used in recent months and our targets in defence, I feel White is very much seen as RB now internally.

That trio of Saka, Odegaard and White is simply too to break now. I feel it’s now a very integral part of the team. The few times Arteta tried to mess with it by bringing someone else in I feel he shortly regretted it afterwards. Those three

I reckon if Tomiyasu was fit, we might have actually seen him at CB instead so that the dynamics of our right hand side don’t get affected.

It’s pretty simple imo. We win the league.

The thing is though people have actually seen White at right CB and he was actually pretty useful there. I’m not disputing that White isn’t integral to our system I’m just saying he makes more sense to play White there than Holding who is shit,Kiwior who is unknown or Tomiyasu who I feel has only ever played CB in some Twitter kids FM save.

1 Like

Mitoma has pretty much taken the piss out of every opponent this season.
He was also left isolated on more than one occasion.the lack of speed and athleticism of Jorginho, and relative inexperience of Kiwior probably didn’t help too much either.

Is he actually playing in this match or just having a kick about with his mates?

Why? He’s probably been the best out of the backline today. By quite a margin too.

1 Like

I don’t know what’s wrong with his performance?

Gets the ball stands around for a few minutes then a pointless pass
The defence have hardly anything to do

Obviously doesn’t have much options, he’s always great a spotting passes.
And it’s hard to blame one of our CB’s for our game not being good enough.

Very very slow in releasing the ball

Was frustrating to watch

1 Like

Was at the game, and haven’t watched any replays, but there was zero movement from our players off the ball and he wasn’t given options to pass to…

1 Like

It’s why I prefer him at right back

Im not saying youre wrong, we were very static, but none of out other 9 outfield players held the ball for as long as he did

I like him there too, but Id like the idea of Mikel bringing in a conventional right back who is comfortable with playing centrally in that inverted role and moving Ben back to CB where I think he has big qualities.

sure - I don’t disagree, but a quick sideways/backwards pass would have made no difference to the result - with no options, him taking time to ponder the best of poor passing choice didn’t really hurt us.

1 Like

I didnt say it hurt us, I said it was frustrating.

To beat a low block like that the passing needs to be quick and exact. Standing there with the ball at your feet for 2 minutes everytime was never going to help us. Id rather it went backwards or sideways as at least it moves them about a bit and could create some space.

1 Like

He was by far our best player against Forest.
He created our biggest chance in the game and his defending was simply outstanding. Saved us one too many times ok the counter when he was last man at the back.

I was worried about him before the fame as it was his first game at CB this season but it was like a day didn’t pass. For someone who doesn’t watch football, he certainly has a fantastic understanding of the game.

3 Likes

Open to a recall? So that kind of indicates when he left mid-tournament before, was it due to a bust up?