Being very honest

Nah mate it won’t be, wait until football is back, people that watch Arsenal will be watching us like they did pre COVID :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

I do know what you mean. If you do go then half the time you’re looking over your shoulder because you’re never sure if a fight will break out. I’ve been lucky to never have been in a section where a fight has broken out but when you’re sitting on the back row looking across the arena there’s one going on literally every few mins.

2 Likes

I miss boxing hugely. That one is hitting me hard and especially because we’ve got a great generation of fighters now and time is passing on some big fights happening.

Football? I miss it because it’s been a huge part of my life but I certainly don’t hold the same affinity to the sport that I used to.

Big soulless bowl stadiums, extremely rich owners using football to build their PR or launder their money, TV companies giving us schedules where the beauty of Saturday @ 3pm kick offs is a thing off the past.

But moreso than anything I miss the organic nature of football. I feel everything is just overly methodical and scientific now. Players are robots and athletes, but very few are really FOOTBALL players these days. They follow these extremely monotonous patterns of player. They’re super athletes with engines unlike anything we’ve ever seen before.

But where’s the beauty in the game anymore? Where are the artists? Outside of the likes of Messi (and a select few others) - very few players can make you think “wow” these days and truly entertain and captivate you.

Defenders aren’t defenders anymore, that the first line of attack and just great passers of the ball with average defending skills. Full backs are all wingers. All the wingers are inside forwards now who play on opposite flanks (right footers on the left and so on).

Gone are the days when European tournaments were prestigious with so much variety in the top teams. Spain, Germany and Italy had great strength in depth now they’re just dominated by the 1 or 2 super clubs in each league. Juventus win 8 in a row, Barcelona win the La Liga most years, Bayern the Bundesliga.

Maybe I’m just a romantic… but the game itself lost it’s beauty a long time ago. I follow it as I always will but I definitely don’t have the same love for the game that I used to.

13 Likes

Top post

The thing is, for me, when I think of football this isn’t what comes to my mind. I still think of kids/family/friends playing in a park, I think of the lower leagues, I just think of a ball.

I follow Colchester quite closely and they are in serious trouble. The owner is not rich enough to keep that club going without fans. Small teams like that are important to the local communities. Well even big teams are – a lot of us have watched Sunderland Til I Die. Going to a match at 3pm on a Saturday was part of a lot of people’s weekly routine. It was mine at one point!

I miss that that isn’t an option at the moment.

1 Like

Nobody’s judging you for missing sports. It sucks to not have football or the NBA playoffs or tennis. I think a lot of us just miss it less than we thought we would which is weird. I think I got used to no sports really quickly which is nuts considering how much time I spend watching it and engaging with it via podcasts and OA.

1 Like

This is the important bit. Football is not very charming these days.

4 Likes

Yes they are actually. I have had people say to me “how can you miss and care about football when this is going on?!”

1 Like

Bloody footballers taking away covid19 tests from the NHS!!!

1 Like

You’re looking in the wrong place then

Well that’s just ridiculous. People miss their normal lives. Anyone giving you shit is just being sanctimonious for no reason. My wife worked with COVID units and she would talk about how she missed stuff all the time. Funnily enough it did not include Arsenal. :facepalm: But we’re all human, we miss how things used to be. I wouldn’t listen to the haters. You’re used to that already given your Hector stance.

If there was no football I’d see no point in this forum tbh. :joy: The whole point of it is to talk about football with the other topics a side plate to discuss alongside the football.

Well even on here some people have said they don’t care for football because it’s not important in the grand scheme of things, as if anyone ever said it was more important than people’s lives. But when people say things like that, it sort of implies that if you do care about football still that must mean you don’t think people’s lives are more important.

And as Calum pointed out, it’s been said by numerous people that football should not return because it’s not fair that they get tests and the nurses at Harlow hospital don’t. And don’t even get me started on Matt Hancock saying footballers should pay for the NHS. Football is a business and a hobby to many. Yet it’s being portrayed as the devil. You can’t possibly miss football AND want a cure for the virus.

2 Likes

Geez, If you do miss it, good for you.
If we don’t miss it, that should also be completely fine.

No one is judging anyone. Everyone is just sharing their opinion.

5 Likes

Agreed FFS.

We’ll be bringing the Cummings shit into this thread at this rate.

1 Like

It’s definitely not fair.

I don’t care if PL clubs can afford them or can source them privately. That’s a big part of the problem.

I’d much rather care that a nurse, doctor, pharmacist or technician who might be treating me has COVID. I don’t care if a footballer has it, if only to play football again.

There is a disparity in how these tests are distributed, privately sourced or not.

Yes but if the Premier League don’t buy the tests, that doesn’t mean these people you list will get them. It means nobody gets them. Unless you’re saying you think the PL should buy them and distribute them to hospitals? Is there actually still a shortage anyway?

That’s not necessarily how the demand curve works though. Premier League having a demand for X amounts of Tests, pushes up the price of said tests because of the greater demand and because of the PLs deep pockets.

1 Like

It’s the governments issue to buy the available tests. They are available.

The PL should not be a whipping boy for the governments failure in dealing with this pandemic.

3 Likes

I think this is another area where football gets a bad rap because it’s so mainstream. I would imagine there are many private entities out there sourcing tests for their people so they can continue their business activities unimpeded.

If the government are meant to make 200k tests a day and the premier league drains 1000 tests a week it’s not going to be the single thing that’s causing problems.

It’s really not football vs everything else, even if these are the only two sides we’re currently hearing about.

1 Like