Basketball (NBA/ FIBA)

Nah. He made one big mistake and that was the Westbrook trade. But other than that he did a very good job in Houston. In getting Harden and building very good/great teams around him. His coaching appointments are questionable, yes. Or at least Kevin McHale as coach was.

Morey made a huge mistake as Danny Ainge did… was to ignore the importance of big man.

He made the wrong assumption that Golden State was going to be the blueprint for every NBA team going forward. Not every team is going to have a Davis/James frontcourt btw. But that happens.

And that failed, failed badly.
You may not have a big man like Davis, but you need a similar size or player to counter him, to contain him, slow him down.
Fucking Celtics, my favorite team, use Daniel Theis as the center most of the season and playoff, and he is only 6’8"!!! A lot of SF/SG/PF are that kind of size these days.
Subs Grant Williams only 6’6". Robert Williams 6’8".
Ainge drafted Tacko Fall (7’5") and Poirier (7’) and never gave them chance to develop. Sucks.

Westbrook trade was his other big mistake. The first mistake he made was signing Chris Paul, who is an injury waiting to happen, to a gigantic long term contract. Only way to get rid of him was to make a trade for another bad contract and that’s why he ended up with Westbrook. Oh and he also gave a ton of draft picks up to OKC in that trade too lol fucked Houston good for the foreseeable future. By the end Morey was just throwing shit at the wall hoping something would stick.

3 Likes

The only thing I’ll say is they were very good in 17/18 winning 65 games and only 1 win away from tossing GSW. If they did they’d have also beaten the Cavs comfortably in the finals and this would be a different discussion. But yes I know Chris Paul got a soft tissue injury at a crunch time again.

1 Like

Just one series good and “close to defeat” GSW doesn’t mean they are on GSW level.
Do you think the Heat will get into final next year, or they are close to the Lakers’ level than other teams?
Nope.

The extension was just after those conference finals though. I get it that he decided too bring them all back after 65-wins etc. After that the relationship between Paul and Harden (further) derailed and it all went to shit.

No it doesn’t mean they’re on GWS level but it shows they could compete, GWS had all the big guns that series also… what I’m saying is Houston was 1 win away from looking at Morey in a completely different light.

Also Rockets 17/18 > Heat 19/20, Rockets won 65 games whilst the Heat was a 49 win team if it was an 82 game win season based on win %.

Houston basically won a ton of matches in regular season with Harden, but also always fell short in playoff.
That proves something about their roster and the way they played.

I’m talking about getting CP3 in free agency in the first place, guy is always injured with soft tissue stuff. Sure he helped them become better but the dood kinda already showed what he was when he constantly got bounced in the playoffs with a prime Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

1 Like

So suck that he was always injured when playing for Clippers.
He could never had a healthy season

The upside is that Philly does have a big man. The thing Morey likes is perimeter shooting, so if there is a big player trade, I could see it being Simmons. Either way, the next few weeks leading to the draft could be interesting.

1 Like

We will see if Morey and Docs are really dumbfxck or not by trading Embiid away.

We’ll see. But being from the area and growing up with all Philly sports, I never put much stock in anything. Too many years of disappointment. In my lifetime, the city has brought home only 3 champtionship: Sixer '83, Phillies '08 and Eagles '17 - Only the latter two do I have any memory of. My biggest memories of the Sixers was the Iverson era - all that hope . . . So whilst I’m hopefully, I know all too well how good at failing the teams in Philly are.

1 Like

By what reason(s) Philly sports teams have your support?

I’m from an hour from Philly. They are my local sports teams. I grew up watching and supporting with my dad.

2 Likes

Can only imagine Houston being interested if the trade offer included Embiid, but we know that won’t be the case.

2 Likes

Brooklyn Nets for sure. I can imagine Golden State trying for Holiday too.

EDIT: Clippers need a point guard, but that isn’t Russ.

Russ to the Knicks please!

Ideal move for both Parties

1 Like