Arsène Wenger

They’ve done a good job at solving that too this season. Much less reviews.

Also flow of the game? the main point they come in is after a goal. There’s no flow to stop.

I would still want the tech to make the call.
If humans are so torn and confused, I would find it better to let the algorithm make the call and give me the confidence score.

The alternative is humans and meh

This is actually the Skynet slogan.

2 Likes

I get you. I want to know why players are allowed to be offside whilst not interfering with play. I have no idea why this is a thing. I assume it is to protect against some pathological situation but I can’t figure out what that would be.

I love it, it makes for great creative play.

I remember this one goal where Persie stayed offside, way behind the opponents backline. Theo got played in, who broke ahead till Persie was behind the ball and ready to receive & score.

There are so many great creative implementations like this that should be encouraged.

While you would say Persie being offside is gaining an advantage but he is also allowing the opponents to face 10 men instead of 11.

Also this

haha yea well I suppose those are the exact things I want the offside rule to protect defenders from and not for the attacking team to use creatively against the defending team. It’s not a crazy idea to have it that way but I prefer it the other way.

2 Likes

Because before this was the case it led to goals being disallowed because a team mate who was nowhere near the ball who happened to be offside could get a goal disallowed. I seem to remember it happening a lot to players who had crossed the ball.

1 Like

Correct and we brought a rule in too compensate that.
Accidental offside for want of a better term. Then we took it somewhere else completely. Basically forwards didn’t have to get themselves back onside and left free to manipulate the situation.

2 Likes

I understand that, but why didn’t they walk onside, why isn’t that one of your responsibilities as a player in the game of football, to be onside to allow for your team to score. It seems blatantly obvious to me. To then instead invite the absolute beehive of a shit show of leaving it open to the interpretation of the ref whether a player offside is not involved in play seems like an absolute dumpster fire decision for no gain.

Not to pick on you of course since it isn’t your rule, but the wording “happen to be” doesn’t do it for me :smiley: then they should’ve happened to be onside imo.

I can’t conjure a situation where it isn’t a case of just go onside or ruin an attack for your team. A player injured sitting down by the corner flag who is injured enough he can’t crawl over the side line and out of play but at the same time not injured enough to stop the game?

I guess maybe it was naïvely introduced to support attacking football thinking no one would exploit it and now many years later here we are.

2 Likes

He clearly enjoys it and wants to be around the game making an impact. Let him live. Some ppl like to stay busy, once they retire their brains go to mush and it’s a wrap.

Who would you define what makes a player onside if he was offside prior to that?

What should Messi do in this phase of play to become onside?

He was a great manager but he was also a control freak.
Being influential at a massive football organisation like FIFA hasn’t stopped his control freakery, if anything, it’s given him more opportunity to show it off.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Not finishing below Spurs in his final two seasons would have been far more impressive.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Looking forward to this.

Is it only coming out on DVD? Can’t see anything to say it’s going to be on Prime etc

1 Like

This documentary looks class. Will be an instant watch for me

1 Like

Arsene Wenger: Invincible, the definitive portrait of one of the greatest managers of all time, comes to cinemas from November 11.

It will be available on Blu-ray, DVD and digital download on November 22.

1 Like

If I had a say he should’ve gone onside earlier why is he walking around like a lil bish. the ship has sailed there.

explicitly he is offside as the sequence starts and then he can’t participate at all for the duration of the sequence. you’d have to end it, Pedro has to finish and/or Barca lose possession etc. Be onside as the ball is played, it is no different from the receiver of the ball.

This is the problem. You could have a long stretch of play where you are making a player(/s) redundant.

You can also end up in a scenario where a whole team is not supposed to interact with the team, even if the ball lands to an onside player on the far side.

You want to remove the judgemental part of the rule but you will end up creating more scenarios where the rule will just impede movement off the ball.
Attackers would be discouraged from making ambitious runs in the fear of being made redundant until the possession is lost…

Risk Benefit of hard offside is not worth it