Arsène Wenger

Its just not though. Nothing has caused more controversy in the game than offside. It’s a bone of contention in almost every game.

Now we’re talking.

1 Like

because we are all subjectively looking at a toenail being offside but with tech, it becomes 1 or 0 pretty quick. Couple that with the latest advantage to striker rule, this is the right time to bring automation in.

Plus if they are smart about it, they will continue with current system but tally it with how tech fared & tweak away the mistakes.

1 Like

No it doesn’t.

It does Sham

2 Likes

You can set parameters of 0 and 1 but that’s not the current rules. :man_shrugging:

We have technology present which can do whatever offside rule is throwing at us

Which of the following rule can not be handled by AI, let me know.

Offside rule is the simplest rule within the footballing sphere that can be automated.
An amateur ML dev can create an algorithm

Feel kinda bad for Wenger pushing this two year WC so bad.

Gave his life to football, should be relaxing with grandkids in some mansion

This was done 7 years ago

at a quick glance, probably every single one of them trion :smiley:

you can end up with judgment calls on just about all of them

1 Like

Again, you can code the computer to do anything you want but who even says it’s going to be AI? Do FIFA have a coding division??

Line up ten offside decisions and run them by 100 people, lots of different opinions. There isn’t a right/wrong answer to this one.

1 Like

@Trion the issue is not whether or not a guy is behind a line, that’s probably the least difficult thing to judge. the issue is was he interfering, was the touch intentional, does it create a new phase, was it a challenge, was it a clear attempt, was it an advantage, was it deliberately saved etc.

1 Like

Dont feel too bad for him mate, it’s his choice, he basically doesn’t ever have to work again if he wants is to enjoy his family and the easy life.

Mentioning grandkids, does Arsene have any? I don’t even know if he has any kids tbh

1 Like

He has one daughter, Lea. Think she is only in her early 20s, so probably doesn’t have children of her own yet

1 Like
  • Was he interfering? Can be calculated in much deeper & quicker ways than humans
  • bold ones are not applicable. You are offside regardless if the touch was intentional, both from attacker & defender.
  • Does it create a new phase, only if the receiver was onside. So yes, configurable.

These things are not as subjective as we sometimes make them look.

I am adding these video just for example. I am not all in for AI but basic algorithmic implementation also works.

but then you have to change the rules a lot. I thought that was a different discussion :sweat_smile:

I don’t think so but if it is, then lets do it or let manual review take over if the incidents looks like it would need one.
80% of offside calls are pretty straight forward - whether he was ahead of defender or not. That alone will save minutes wasted in manual review, as the tech will be able to do it in microseconds.

you definitely have to change the rules in every single instance I listed there to remove judgment calls. If it was as simple as the guy is behind the line then sure.

But it isn’t. It really depends on whether or not he tried to kick it intentionally, was he challenging for the ball etc. Those things are the issue.

The case with Eric Garcia and Mbappe seems to still confuse half of twitter, I read about it again by accident this morning. The issue is that Garcia -intentionally- kicks the ball. if it is not intentional it is not offside. Those things will always be up to a human to decide, don’t you agree?

The “are they behind the line” calls can be probably be automated, sure (your 80% will be faster, agree).

1 Like

And they’ve pretty much already solved this by telling the lino not to flag immediately.

But each review stops the flow of the game and requires a minute or two of review; which is one of big criticism of the VAR.

I agree with everything you say, it’s a topic of discussion because the officials make it convoluted and at it’s core it’s a difficult rule to marshal with just the human eye, hell it’s difficult with replays.

It’s like a policeman back in the day thinking you are speeding with his naked eye, he gives you a ticket and you can’t contest it even if you both aren’t really that sure. Give him a modern day speed radar and he’s got you dead to rights, no assumptions no bullshit. The offside rule could be like that, obviously not as simple of fix but one worth investigating to eliminate the guess work. Technology can do that.

With you 100 percent on this one man, the technology is there and organisation like FIFA has the means and money to implement it, input technology is out of this world these days and I could easily see this being implemented over the next few years, whether or not they make a good job of it is another story.

3 Likes