Arsène Wenger

Man we were so spoiled in the first 8-9 years of Wenger’s reign.

I remember quite vividly in 2002 saying to my 3 year old cousin “listen buddy, you see these players, you see Henry and Bergkamp and Pires, they are special players. We won’t always have players like this.”

Needless to say, he was a 3 year old dummy and nobody remembers shit when you’re that young.

I’ve since told him this story and he remembers more of Henry’s latter years, and when Fabregas broke through but those of us who witnessed Wenger in his prime are truly fortunate.

The 03 win against Inter is one of my favourite moments as an Arsenal fan. I felt like we could batter anybody put in front of us. I’ve never felt that confident in the best part of 20 years now. What a feeling that was. Give it up to Arsène for making me feel invincible.

7 Likes

Seeing those teams live at Highbury was something else - memories I will personally treasure !!

5 Likes

Still annoyed we didn’t win the CL in that 02-04 period in particular.

2 Likes

04 especially. That Wayne Bridge goal ruined my day at school.

4 Likes

Yep it was fucking infuriating, especially because I gloated to everyone at school about how we’d win the treble.

Yeah. Even at his peak, Wenger had a tendency to struggle in Europe.

02-03 league bottle job
02-04 failings in Europe

And losing the FA Cup to Liverpool in I believe 01 or 02 were just the worst for me as a kid.

1 Like

Yeah I sympathise a little with the 01 cup final, no doubt we bottled at the death but we also got robbed blind my the referees.

I don’t have the same recollection as you so I don’t remember the robbing but I do remember crying my eyes out as a 10 or 11 year old lol

1 Like

Don’t YouTube the Henchoz handball.

4 Likes

That shit is burned in my memory :sob:

4 Likes

Ironically, he would be complaining about it, probably the most vocally as well

2 Likes

You’d have to imagine players will be quitting international football by 30 tops now.
Too many extended seasons regardless of less qualifying games.

1 Like

Yep, 2001. Been to all our FA Cup Finals and it’s the only one we lost, that shit has truly stayed with me. Also saw us lose to Brum in that League Cup Final but that gave me more of a numb, kind of detached depression as opposed to the all out devastation of that fucking Cup final.

Fucking Henchoz. Or rather, whatever fucking ref it was, as I can’t blame Henchoz as I’d have done exactly the same. I was at the other end of the Millenium Stadium and even I could see it was a fucking handball. Cunt.

2 Likes

Woah there were two handballs.
Where are all the VAR deniers? VAR would have given us an FA cup
it took two fucking decades post this match for VAR to become reality

Henry should have done better with the second handball

Wenger (puting people) out (of jobs)

2 Likes

Finally Wenger with a good implementation.

Will perhpas cut down 5-6 minutes of VAR review

Nah, this won’t happen. Automation is for when you have black and white decisions. Offside couldn’t be more grey.

3 Likes

At its heart though offside is black and white, it’s the human interpretation that adds the shades of gray.

I have no clue how they would automate it but I imagine it would be top down cameras or lasers or something, maybe using some kind of sensor on the ball and have the players wear something akin to motion capture devices similar that used in video games.

The only question is setting the parameters, if a defender and striker are side by side does the technology allow a thicker offside line that favours the attacker.

I thinks it’s going to be difficult but certainly not impossible with today’s technology, it would also be amazing for the sport if implemented correctly. Think how quick and accurate goal line decisions are now, if we could get that for offside it would be worth the expense and head ache.

This is the natural evolution of VAR and one of the main reasons I was a proponent of putting the onus more on technology and less on useless officials.

1 Like

How so?
It’s pretty straight forward.

• When the ball is released
  • Check if any player is offside
  • Check if the receiving player was offside
  • Check if any other player was in the line of sight of keeper

Any other scenario like an offside attacker tackling defender can be appealed.

Things that would be difficult would be instances like Mbappes goal the other night where it was deemed onside because it nicked a Spain player.

I feel like you could easily remedy that though by refining the rules to Mbappe being offside in that situation which would make more sense even without tech.