Arsène Wenger

I wanted him gone when I thought he was incapable of winning the league again, which was years before he actually did depart.

My mistake was thinking we could possibly make correct choices post Wenger and challenge for a title.

Hindsight is easy but we’ve just gradually got worse post Wenger as @BigWeng_4LYFE loves to point out he called it all along.

3 Likes

The thing is if he’d gone in 14 or 15 Ivan might have gotten round to putting some systems in place. Him pissing off a couple of months later and the Korenkes just picking his replacements by who drew the longest straw really fucked things

3 Likes

Yeah the fucked thing is we’ll never know and all we can judge on is what’s happened and we’ve come 5th, 8th & 8th since his departure :sob:.

1 Like

I don’t think so.

The decisions we’ve made afterwards and the way we’ve dithered in sacking the bums that have come after him, show me the same issues when we dithered retiring Wenger.

Kroenkes aren’t up to it.

But Ivan might have been. We’ll never know as Aussie says. Shame we never got to see that play out. Klopp was gettable summer 15…

4 Likes

Unless we hired a really top level replacement like Klopp I think things were destined to be fucked up post-Wenger no matter when he left, simply because Wenger spent a decade post-Dein turning the club into his own personal fiefdom. On the footballing side of the club, there was no organizational structure or set of talented individuals in place with a track record of accountability and responsibility to make the post-Wenger leap. Because he didn’t want them there.

As an organization, the club has been badly run since Dein left, just with different variations of crap, from Wenger’s personal fiefdom, to the three amigos of Raul/Gazidis/Sven, to the Raul-as-Corrupt-Godfather year, to whatever the fuck we have now.

5 Likes

I’ll never get over Wenger sitting in on the interview for Gazidis who was essentially meant to be Wenger’s boss, not to mention all the hearsay that Wenger used to sit in on meetings regarding catering and the most irrelevant of issues.

Anyone who doesn’t think that Gazidis and Wenger’s tyrannical grip of the club didn’t initiate this deterioration is blinded by agenda, love or ignorance.

4 Likes

At the end of the day, it was more of a failure from the management than from the Wenger.

• If you think Wenger had too much power, management to be blamed.
  • If you think Wenger stayed too long, management to be blamed.
  • If you think our transfer activities were inadequate, management to be blamed.
  • Emery was hired by Gazidis
  • Gazidis was never replaced and needless reshuffling of management happened, as if there is a distinct lack of CEOs in this world.
  • What’s with no evaluations of Raul’s dealings?

Kroenke’s didn’t seem to be involved but also didn’t seem to hire someone to keep tabs of the inner workings of the club.
I have seen better resource management in a lowly firm.

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with your point. I just feel that Wenger cared more about the power and position he wielded within the club more than the fans and the club itself. It became more about his tenure and self preservation towards the end than the success of Arsenal.

It wasn’t a pretty swansong for him and to be honest I do agree that the management and the higher ups should have done more for Wenger, done more to streamline his priorities. Unfortunately they were lazy and Wenger was who he was- a charismatic genius who was always going to consolidate power as the ego of any man will dictate.

I feel like if the infrastructure and the board were more professional during Wenger’s later years they would have protected him from himself. There was this ideal that we could be a great club competing for major honours on a shoe string budget with minimal investment as long as the great Prof was at the reigns. It was ignorance and arrogance and all in all a sorry state of affairs from everyone involved. A house of cards that is still collapsed to this day.

Had all parties been a little more professional and a lot more humble then I genuinely believe that everyone on this board would talk of Wenger the way you and A4TT do.

8 Likes

Yeah we really needed someone to step up and overrule Wenger over his backroom staff & loyalty towards certain players.
Players like Theo, Chamberlain, Welbeck, Diaby, Persie should have been out the door long before they left. I understand buying players who could turn into shit, that’s unpredictable but to stick with unproductive players with our limited resources has detoriated our football.

3 Likes

It’s true that Wenger was kept on too long.
Either he had to change and start buying proven quality or we would drift out of the CL places, which is what happened.

Just before he left, after waiting more than five seasons, he did actually replace Giroud and eventually bought Aubameyang, who we could have had a few seasons earlier and look what a difference he made.
But by then our best players had left and Wenger’s dithering in the transfer market meant we were dropping down the league…

His totally inadequate transfer windows and stubbornness were the reasons he had to go but he should have gone several seasons before.

Sacking him was never the problem but not replacing him with a top level manager like, Klopp, Tuchel, Allegri, etc, was.

Although we’ve finished the same or lower, since he left, it was clear that Wenger wasn’t going to get us back to challenging for the title.

The board’s poor decision making, as well as their lack of ambition by persisting with him too long then not getting a suitable replacement, is the real reason we’re not playing CL football.

3 Likes

This is not true.
If the board was suddenly going to be ambitious after Wenger, why didn’t they be ambitious while Wenger was here and give him the money needed to compete with Chelsea & City?
Why did they sell both Nasri & Cesc when Wenger was asking them not to do that as it raises questions of us as a big club.

Wenger did as best as anyone could with the board & their ambition. Wenger would have had us competing for the title if he was backed by an ambitious board.

And as it became evident post his departure, there was never a ambitious board for Wenger to ever elevate us. We are still working on January loans(Denis Suarez, Ceballos, Odegaard) & bargain bin purchases(Mari, Cedric) like a midtable club.
Don’t let occasional big money purchases fool you.

It might be true that Wenger wasn’t given the money to spend while he was manager but, if it was, then why did Wenger llie to the supporters in every transfer window and say that "we were only buying “super quality” and “weren’t afraid to spend big?”

We weren’t just falling behind the big spenders, we were also getting caught up and overtaken by similar size slubs to us like spurs and Leicester.

I agree the board are the biggest problem but Wenger didn’t help himself or us with his stubbornness and lies.

5 Likes

arsene-wenger-21-years-0-european-trophies-rena-zinedine-zidane-27158074

3 Likes

Lmaooooo forever is down bad :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Should of went could of won a UCL with Madrid and done wonders with the money and players they had. Prime Ronaldo would of been something under Wenger. Could of been hailed as one of the greatest ever instead he stayed here and ruined his legacy. That decision to not go ended being worse for both him and the club.

4 Likes

Wenger doesn’t need a bunch of dirt pounders sitting at home on their couch who want to talk about his legacy cuz they’ve never accomplished anything worthwhile in their lives, to validate his own career. There were more important things to him than just wins and losses. The man did things no other manager would be willing to do, much less accomplish. He’s simply just morally on a different level than the normal forehead flat brain football fanatic can comprehend tbh :joy::joy::+1::+1:

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s a given he’ll done wonders there. Trophies absolutely. Galacticos was a terrible environment for managers and they were sack happy too.

3 Likes

This is rubbish.

I once saw a blimp.

5 Likes