Arsène Wenger

I still think that, as good as Makele was, Vieira and Petit together were the best CM pairing in the PL.
Also, that was when we had two top quality CB’s, Adams and, Keown so I doubt Petit would have got many games in that position.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Petit more of a LB in his defender days?

We never really saw Petit at CB though. It’s possible he was better than Keown. Although he was a better passer than Vieira or Makelele anyway so maybe that would be a bigger loss

7 Likes

@BigWeng_4LYFE

2 Likes

Picture on the left…1000 x better than Arteta…

Picture on the right…10 x better than Arteta

Win win…

2 Likes

greatest ever, so much more then just a football manager; was basically father figure as I was growing up…but ever since he retired I am struggling big time watching his interviews (slowly getting better at it) but all that farewell he did when leaving, all the interviews, speachess, literally everything that had anything to do with him leaving us; I could never watch it.
and still, years later; Haven’t watched any of it :slight_smile:
as soon as the ref blew the last whistle on his final game: I shut the stream off and changed the channel in my brain

surely this picture was posted before, but I bumped into it today, so why not share it (even though it is before his AFC days)

9 Likes

That is a quality jumper.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Bring him back. I was wrong.

I am sorry father

4 Likes

Ah man it’s like the walking dead. The zombies got Elec.:frowning:

2 Likes

Tbf do you not think certain values we once had went away a bit with him gone?

He had a similar mindset and was a good man like you are my friend.

3 Likes

He gave us a brilliant new identity at Highbury embraced and bettered our culture but then lost sight of it and comprised a lot of it.
We wouldn’t be dealing with Kia though if he was here tbh.

8 Likes

Kroenkes and foreign investment corrupted them all.

Dein, Wenger, the board at the time.

They got scared of the sugar daddy clubs and compromised everything for a loser, passive owner.

I would take Arsene back instead of the fraud we’ve got in a heartbeat…

1 Like

I think I’m with Elec on this one.

I’m not as pro-Wenger as @BigWeng_4LYFE @Trion and @arsenescoatmaker but I can appreciate the later contribution he made. It genuinely felt like he kept the club’s identity and, given the servant he was, he kept schtum about boardroom shenanigans. I can remember a video circulating of Wenger falling when he had a briefcase in each hand and even Arsenal fans across forums laughing at him. A grown man. Falling. I thought we crossed a line there as a fan group.

That being said, I won’t put the man ahead of the club. I can remember Arsenal before Wenger and there were some really good times then. Those who say “if we signed Suarez, we’d have won the league” or “if we’d signed more than Petr Cech that summer, we’d have won the league” irks me a little. These hypotheses work on the premise that we were not a bottling team. We became that bottling club going into the Emirates era. We needed intestinal fortitude, and we didn’t have that under Wenger. I don’t understand the pining over him now, either. It’s counter productive and akin to stalking an ex girlfriend on Facebook.

Moving forward is tough. We’ve got a manager at the helm who should be relishing the opportunity to have such a big job. He should be learning from his mistakes. He should be working with a smile on his face and getting his team to purposefully play to win. We don’t have that. If it’s dynamic, progressive, forwardthinking football we want, we will NEVER get that under Arteta and that’s why we look back, ultimately unhelpfully, at Monsieur Wenger.

7 Likes

I should qualify this with Graham too, bungs aside

Feel like what Edu and Raul did/are doing with Kia and the like was/is worse than any bungs but then I didn’t live through that time.

1 Like

It’ll take more than such lame, transparent flattery to convince Stroller to get back on the Wenger train :grin:

5 Likes

Spoken like a bad man enemy.

2 Likes