Arsène Wenger

Bottom line is, everything I told u guys would happen has happened. Wenger was doing a herculean job keeping this club relevant with the current ownership board.

Arsene with a proper support system like Dein, was the greatest manager the PL had ever seen, routinely making Fergie look a fucking bum. As soon as Gazidis and the Kroenkes came in they managed to make the greatest PL manager ever look just somewhat decent.

Now that ur getting a taste of reality you should all be applauding the insane job Arsene did with the weight he had around his neck tbf.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone would argue Wenger wasn’t an incredible legendary manager. I think the discussion is around whether he had reached the limits of his ability. If he had stayed we may not be where we are now but he would continue to serve as a shield for Kroenke.

The man was in his mid-60’s when he left. It was going to happen sooner or later. Better sooner so we can get this shit board out of here and rebuild from the ground up.

1 Like

I dont think it’s a coincidence that the supposed decline of Wenger perfectly coincides with the Kroenke/Gazidis takeover and our team losing a ton of quality. The real disappointment for me is that we hired someone to be a David Dein (Sven) for Wenger, but a bunch of con men won the power struggle and have set us back even further.

1 Like

If Wenger stayed past 2018 and had us finishing 5th, 6th and 5th, we’d have seen that as failure. I don’t think Wenger would have us down in 9th, nor do I see him taking this current Arsenal team to 4th.

Srven was nothing like David Dein. He’s basically a stat and video nerd.

1 Like
4 Likes

I expect the next protest(like the Utd one though) and bad result to be the end of him. Kroenkes will sack him to deflect heat. Wonder if the fans fall for it though.

Some will, some won’t, some will continue to pine for 71 year old men.

2 Likes

71 or 17, get this squad of shitters playing sexy football again and I’ll Stan u forever. It doesn’t seem like a difficult task but when the club are actively working against you, it becomes one of the most impressive feats ever :joy::joy::+1::+1:

The ESL thing was a huge fuck up. Fans are naturally divided over one thing or another but the attempt at an ESL coupled with the overall state of the club has unified fans against him.

Kroenke committed a cardinal sin. It’s going to take much much more than sacking bumteta.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Wenger leaving was the right decision.
Replacing him with Emery and Arteta was the wrong decision.

Just because Arteta is the worst manager in the PL doesn’t mean we should have kept Wenger.
It’s the board’s decision making that’s useless.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Time to call it Wenger cup

3 Likes

It’s actually crazy that he’s won 7. We had 6 when he joined the club and left us with 13, more than doubled the count.

If only we won in Paris in 06…hurts so much thinking about that still. Fuck.

5 Likes

His FA Cup credentials were unparalleled, I’ll never under how he couldn’t replicate a fraction of that in Europe.

5 Likes

I think at some stage the team just accepted that they couldn’t win it. All those Barce defeats probably head fucked us as a squad

1 Like

Constantly getting knocked out by Barca and eventually Bayern in the round of 16 really took a toll on the club and fan base.

It became a forgone conclusion we would get knocked out in the round of 16.

I think the 2010/11 season did it. We played great football and we looked to be competing in every single competition and drew perhaps the best team ever in the second round of the CL, lost the League Cup final and then just completely fell apart in every competition. Then we had Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Clichy all wanting out. We were never the same after that, a shadow of our former self

3 Likes

All of that is true. What people forget about Wenger were the many embarrassing score lines at the hands of rivals.

I’ll always remember the 2011/12 season for getting smacked 8-2 at Old Trafford.

1 Like