Arsène Wenger

Make football attacking again. Some of the ruled out goals are just so minimal and not in the spirit of the game.

What do people think of the ‘kick in’ proposal to replace throwings?

1 Like

Get the logic behind it but not for me.

1 Like

Bellerin loves it.

2 Likes

I get where he’s coming from, and I agree it shouldn’t be a disadvantage like it is. But a kick seems like too good of a reward ? If that makes sense.

Maybe having it so the opposition can’t come too close to the “thrower” so he has a short option instead might make it fairer?

1 Like

If there’s a 10 yard rule Xhaka probably takes them

2 Likes

Depends if there’s a 10 yard. But it definitely favours attacking teams. The downside is maybe that kick ins in some places that would be better than corners

1 Like

I feel like kick ins might slow down the game too much. On a throw in sometimes guys take their time but it’s not a huge interruption to the game flow. Every kick in in the attacking half is going to be like a corner or free kick routine, the kicker teeing the ball up perfectly, the team rearranging itself with the CBs moving up, sometimes signaling some kind of routine etc. Imagine doing that an extra 15-20 times per match, it sounds tedious as fuck.

1 Like

Didn’t think of this tbh. Good point

1 Like

Common sense decisions, for all my frustrations in the latter part of his tenure Arsene is a man I just love listening to when he analyses football.

3 Likes

Wenger talks, the footballing world loves to listen :grin:

2 Likes

Wenger >>>>>>>>>> Klopp

2 Likes

Kick in’s would provide too much of an advantage IMO. Any kick-in in the final third would practically turn into a freekick situation. In fact, would provide more advantage than a corner because of the angle of the kick-in.

2 Likes

I always thought the offside rule worked best when there had to be “daylight” between the last defender and the attacker, i.e. You had to be fully in front of the last defender to be offside.

2 Likes

Yeah he basically wants the daylight rule brought back. Except now not sure how ‘daylight’ is going to be measured with these weird pixelated VAR lines.

2 Likes

Fuck, I finally understand that convoluted statement from Wenger.

2 Likes

Imagine kick ins instead of throw ins though. It’ll be like when Delap was at Stoke and teams would kick the ball out for a corner instead of conceding a throw in.

Arsenal simply couldn’t absorb pressure for years under Wenger for about the last six years or so.
We couldn’t play without the ball and always fell down mentally when expectation came knocking.

5 Likes

Signing Elneny in January that season demonstrated the clubs ambition at the time despite being in a prime position to get over the line.

The 3-3 draw with West Ham was shambolic too.

4 Likes

Lmao yeah as opposed to the teams just spending billions to win. Bruh it ain’t that deep. Give Arsene City’s budget or United’s and we woulda won a lot more. Easy to say the team was mentally weak when we are buying Elneny and Chamakh types and still competing for titles but coming up short lmaoooo :joy::joy::joy:

Ya know why Klopp won? Cuz he spent 80m on the best cb in the world. Ya know why SAF won a lot? Cuz he spent more on a CB than our entire transfer record up until a few years ago. Ya know why Pep wins? Cuz City have spent over a billion in transfer fees. It’s not rocket science, and we don’t need Sigmund fucking Freud’s psychoanalysis of Manuel Almunia to explain why we weren’t winning titles in those days homeboy :grin::grin::+1::+1:

1 Like

From memory Giroud header from an Ozil free kick gave us a 1-0 lead.