Arsène Wenger

1 Like

Way too much is made of this game… For the record this isn’t meant too bash on Wenger in any way, but the amount of time I’ve seen this game mentioned on soclals show that we have done fuck all as a club the past 15 years.

2 Likes

We where crap in the second leg. 3 down in no time. Another Wenger European disaster class.

I think you’re thinking about the 09/10 quarter final 2nd leg when Messi scored 4.

1 Like

Come on man I don’t hate Arsene Wenger but it’s clearly untrue that Arsenal would have gone bust had he taken different decisions. He didn’t keep our club from bankruptcy. He may have done wonders with a limited squad but no way were the finances that bad.

Best I can give him is he’s not responding to the question literally but it’s such poor form to lie so egregiously and play victim the way he did there.

5 Likes

The finances were very bad during the ground move/invincible years. It’s well documented.

1 Like

I can’t see a reason for Wenger to lie or play the victim now.
Although, I do agree it’s an overreaction.
My guess it’s a language barrier thing or Arsene didn’t think much of what “going bust” meant when he was asked that question.

1 Like

In his time managing us he was rightly regarded as one of the more articulate and intelligent managers, and that’s regardless of nationality or mother tongue, so I think its charitable in the extreme for you to make out that he maybe didn’t understand the question he was asked because English isn’t his first language.

1 Like

I just don’t know why we went to the Emirates if it was so financially perilous. There’s no way Wenger achieving top 4 consecutively with a declining squad could be considered realistic.

Again where did the Arshavin money come from then when it looked like we were really in the shit?

3 Likes

Tbh, I think this belief about Wenger was overblown by others personally. Same for Mou.

I don’t think it is overblown, he was more articulate than most other managers in the league throughout his time with us.

I agree.
He didn’t have much to spend and he did do a great job with a limited budget but it was his constant dithering in the transfer market and his stubbornness sticking with under performing players that saw us drop out of the CL places.

When he did spend, it was too little too late and ended up costing us a fortune because of his indecisiveness and constant haggling

This also meant we went into every season under prepared and consequently lost points in the first few games and the season was thrown away.

We paid a fortune for players we could have got for far less if we’d got them a few seasons earlier. But because of his lack of urgency and reliance on underwhelming players, when he eventually did buy what we were desperate for, they were way more expensive.

1 Like

Sure, but I’ve seen him get caught off guard at times. It just happens, 90% he can be articulate and give well thought answers but he had moments where he just spoke in the heat of the moment.
Also, take into account that Wenger hasn’t been speaking weekly to the media like he used as a manager for us.

1 Like

Think it was a rainy day emergency fund that was inacted in case we weren’t looking likely to get top 4. Which we weren’t that season.

1 Like

At the time Usmanov was still a shareholder and begging to get on to the board. He released multiple statements and gave multiple interviews about how desperate he is to get onto the board and spend big. I doubt we would of ever gone bust, we had like two of the worlds richest owners!

3 Likes

Big daddy Wengz making moves

7 Likes

Nobody upstages VAR. It’s the star of the show. Can’t be having common sense like this.

1 Like

I had to read that like five times to understand it haha

3 Likes

I feel like OG Big Weng has often had good ideas for rule changes/innovations.

He should be head of whatever FIFA department looks after that kinda shit.

1 Like