Arsène Wenger

That morning ( Aus time) was my greatest Arsenal supporting moment I have experienced. Well on a personal level it was probably being in attendance for Arsenal 5-0 Porto but you know what I mean.

1 Like

Imagine being there for that. Must have been absolutely incredible. “AGUEROOOOOOO” is the closest we’ve come to such a moment, but I reckon Anfield 89 tops it.

3 Likes

Not just Stokies though was it? He may have taken us up a level but we are a joke across European football at this point. Our and his reputation are in the toilet.

I know about it and it was great but United won a treble back then and we won it on their ground. A similar level more modern achievement

But we were hardly going to play CL even if 3rd/4th got places then finishing 10th and 12th
:neutral_face:

Some rival fans mocking Arsenal on social media doesn’t mean much, I’ve seen many professionals praise Wenger/Arsenal’s tradition, and players like Ozil are at Arsenal because of him. I’d take his opinion over anyone, he was attracted to the manager and clubs traditions. A guy who played in the biggest club in the world before and won the World Cup

1 Like

No where near what we did against Liverpool.
They were the best team in Europe.
They hadn’t lost at home by two clear goals for several seasons.
It was the only fixture played between the only to teams that could win the title.
It was the first time the League title had been won on the last game of the season between the two contenders.
It was the first time the title had been decided in a live TV game.
It was won with almost the last kick of the game.

If you believe that winning it at Man U is better than at Liverpool you can’t have seen the match.

There was even a film made about it.

4 Likes

Why is he, like all our best players before him, leaving then?

3 Likes

Wish I was with old enough to experience that event, I would have talked about it to my Liverpool mates every day for the next 5 years.

3 Likes

A rush to win a trophy, which we were limited because of the Emirates move. Guys like RVP, Cesc, Nasri don’t have a career without Wenger

I’m sure Highbury was great nostalgia wise but the point is it’s small, a bigger stadium has attracted a much bigger fanbase worldwide

I think the Premier League in general has attracted a bigger worldwide fan base due to it being more readily available. That is not specific to Arsenal.

1 Like

Our reckon our bigger fanbase worldwide has more to do with TV deals screening it in countries world wide, not because we moved to a soulless bowl that holds 20 k more people.

Beat me to it :cry:

That’s played a part but if I was an overseas fan I’d be very attracted to a beautiful 60k stadium than Highbury, as it was small and falling down, hence why it was binned

So are people actually trying to say George Greaham was a better manager for us than wenger? Really?

1 Like

No people are saying that Arsenal was a big club before Wenger arrived.

2 Likes

Where has anyone said that? :neutral_face:

3 Likes

My point is about reputation worldwide, do you think people back then respected Arsenal compared to now. They had a reputation for being boring, while people like Pep have praised Wenger and Arsenal’s traditions before

We were a big club before

Although denying the impact wengers time here has had on the size of our club and the global support we now have and us being one of the top 5/6/7 clubs in world football and the highest supported club at least on the internet is silly

We’re a much bigger club than we were under George greaham and a lot of that is down to the success wenger has had its undeniable

1 Like

Why are people compairing GGs achievements to wengers?