Arsène Wenger

Arsenal might’ve existed but it wasn’t a big club, had some mid table finishes before Wenger, and was stuck in old times like the drinking etc. Wenger changed all that. I’d take our new manager being similar to Wenger than Graham anyday

2 Likes

Simeone looks not up for it anymore. Atletico have been shit in the last 2 seasons.

1 Like

I wish our shit was top 3 finishes and the last 8 of the Champions League… @GunnerGirl 10 league titles but not a big club ok :joy:

:open_mouth:

Arsenal has become bigger in the Wenger era. But it was still a big club.

2 Likes

Thanks for speaking sense :clap:

Over half of those were before 1960’s. It’s hard to rate league titles won before players were really competent professionals. Arsenal rarely played in CL before Wenger. Not denying that Graham done a great job but the style he won trophies in suited his era but not 2017. Hence why I’d much rather see the next manager with a good footballing style

1 Like

Your entitled to want a manager that has an attractive style of play, nothing wrong with that but to say we weren’t a big club before Wenger is a little silly…

1 Like

One of the biggest things in our history happened before Wenger. The 1989 title win on the last day away to Liverpool. I wasn’t born yet either but you can’t slag off our history because you didn’t live it makes you look silly

5 Likes

Pre-Wenger - 3rd most successful club in English football history.
Post-Wenger - 3rd most successful club in English football history.

I’d probably say Herbert Chapman made Arsenal a big club or at least put us on the map.*

*Pun very much intended. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Shhhh don’t let the facts get in the way of some people’s idea that it’s Arsene FC

1 Like

‘Big’ club doesn’t mean trophies first and foremost. About having a good reputation and fanbase too. Back then we had a small stadium and a ‘boring boring Arsenal’ chant. Only played in CL twice in our history too… You can mention Anfield 89 but Wenger won 2 titles at United and Spurs stadium, just as good achievement. Graham made AFC a semi big club and Wenger took it to the next level imo

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a repeat of two League titles an FA Cup, League Cup and two European finals in eight seasons.

3 Likes

It also has to be taken into account you didn’t get get European cup gigs back in the day for token 3rd or 4th placed finishes

4 Likes

Sign me up for that @InvincibleDB10. I’m of the belief we may never see Arsenal win a league title in our lifetimes again

That really is quite an ignorant thing to say.
It was not only our greatest League win but the greatest of any League win of any club.

If you believe anything can top that I would suggest you go and look at the DVD of that season.
I can assure you it was the most exciting ever and won’t be beaten.

1 Like

We’ve always had a big fan base and Highbury was a bloody great stadium!

6 Likes

Now our opponents sing “we want you to stay, Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay.”

2 Likes

It’s really fucking not. Liverpool were the best team in the world and won the league every year. We had to beat the best team in the world by two clear goals in their own stadium to win the league and we did it with the last kick off the ball.

Absolutely incredible moment in our history don’t play it down cause you don’t know about it

5 Likes

THOMAS CHARGING THROUGH THE MIDFIELD > WILTORRRRRRRRRRD :stuck_out_tongue:

No one will ever make a movie out of the Wiltord moment like they did 89 but still a great achievement.

1 Like

Some inbred Stoke fans singing it doesn’t mean shit lol. Wenger is very respected by a lot of professionals, hence having a good reputation