Arsène Wenger

Yeah I thought it was well written and parts were mildly interesting. But from a content point of view, I didn’t feel I came away from the book with any new information/funny anecdotes. I guess it depends on what you find interesting, when I’m reading autobiographies I don’t particularly care for detailed analysis on tactics from way back when.

Fair enough, that’s exactly why I thought it was interesting, as opposed to the usual season-by-season, run of the mill accounts of a playing career and their actually quite mundane personal lives.

“At the end of the 86/87 season I married Linda, we were expecting our first daughter Julie and yawn yawn yawn”

A memoir that took a deeper dive into the actual game was welcome for me.

4 Likes

Paul McGrath is amongst the very best. Only Paul Vaessen book is the saddest I have ever read.
Enjoyed Wrighty one and Adams addicted probably broke the mould on football books.

Think my favourite football book though was Mick McCarthy world cup diary.
The whole Keane situation comes across as very honest and incredibly tough situation too handle.
Two Bobby Charlton books on his club and country years about ten years old now are very good reads as well.

Fergie’s first autobiography was one of the best. Especially early chapters in Scotland.
Leading Glasgow apprentices on strike in Glasgow ship yards at 17.
Dealing with prejudice at Rangers having a catholic girlfriend.
Running a pub after he finished playing. Aberdeen, Scotland and players he fell out with where all good.

2 Likes

The Bobby Charlton biography was really good, especially about his relationship with Jackie and the conflict between his wife and his mother.
Like you say, Paul McGrath had a great career and his story was very interesting considering his tough upbringing.

The Adams and the Graham books are good and another one by an older Arsenal player, that is also a very good read, is the Bob Wilson book.
He is articulate as well as being very intelligent.

1 Like

Small part of your post, but says a lot. If this is your viewpoint than obviously the departure of Wenger is never justified. The point(s) that I argued, that there are more reasons for departing with a manager other than just who his succesor will be (which is always a gamble anyway), never makes sense in your view. Because the said manager, Wenger in this case, isn’t responsible of accountable for anything. It’s always others.

The point that you argue also implies that. The board only are justified in firing the manager if they can appoint somebody who is guaranteed to do better. Putting the focus on the board (again the others) and distracting of what the manager in charge actually did.

1 Like

8 Likes

“A picture is worth a thousand words”

2 Likes

Ive only got three wtf.

7 Likes

Look at Auba scoring almost one per game under Big Weng :joy::joy::clap::clap: we probably win the Europa League if they don’t have the stupid rule where he was cup tied that they changed the next year lmao our luck.

4 Likes

We’d have likely gotten a more favourable result than the 1-1 vs Atletico if we had Auba playing, we dominated that night.

1 Like

And Laca missed a sitter…

2 Likes

How did we end up in the Europa that year.Remind me again.

1 Like

I’ll remind u when Arsenal get 75 points in a league campaign. Might be a long time tho :joy::joy:

1 Like

Never celebrated an also ran position in my life mate.
There was a time he wouldn’t have. Kidded some of you people real good. Sold you a dud in a shiney suit and nice smile. Legacy right here.

You’ve got it all backwards. Pep is a great manager but he’s never won shit without having the best team in the world or spending billions on his team. Wenger has never had that privilege. Used to run Fergie ragged before financial doping was a thing in the PL. Took a massive managing job by Wenger to keep us relevant with the type of players we could afford. Sorry u don’t see it, but as time goes on with Wenger removed, becomes clearer and clearer, well to logical ppl anyways :+1::+1:

Lol I know its hard to admit ur wrong, I mean I think I’d have left OA in shame if the opposite happened and we ended up being great after Arsene left. Alas, I was right the whole time and vindicated so it’s been a ball for me :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Mate took Arteta 5 minutes to win an FA cup, which is all Wenger could achieve from 2005.

U can win one through luck but u don’t win 3 of 4 and set the record for most wins in a row unless ur a god :+1::grin:

1 Like

Early signs of the Lacazette we all know now and sadly a reminder of Welbeck’s terrible output as a player. Even though I liked him.

Fun-Fact: The cup-tied rule got abolished the season right after.

2 Likes

Everyone forgetting we never created a chance in Madrid then.
Exactly the thing where complaining about now. Ozil playing as well.
Not quite the picture some are trying too paint. Absolutely loads of poor,ordinary or bad performances over the last years of Wenger’s tenure here.

3 Likes

If we won 3-0 at the Emirates though like we should have based on the balance of play, it’s unlikely the 2nd leg would have mattered it must be said.

28-6 shots and 76 % of the ball to walk away with a 1-1 was gut wrenching.

4 Likes